Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 29 Jan 2003 09:36:15 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, January 29, 2003

Topics:
1. The Entrepreneurs Club (Social Meeting)
2. Florida Frontiers Lecture on Amazon Ecology
3. Toastmasters Meeting
4. Hispanic Student Association Debate (People Awareness Week)
5. University Scholars Program Official Announcement
6. Reitz Scholars
7. Mortarboard (juniors and seniors)

Details:

1. THE ENTREPRENEURS CLUB:  This semester has gotten off to a great start
for The Entrepreneurs Club (TEC) and we are happy to see so many new faces
at our meetings. This week we will be holding our TEC social event where our
members can meet one another and network in a fun atmosphere. It is a way to
discuss various issues on a more personal basis. We will be bowling and
playing pool in the Reitz Union Game Room. Our next meeting is this
Wednesday, January 29 (tonight) at 6:00 PM in the Reitz Union Game Room.
Come out and meet new people and fill your rolodex! TEC Social
Event,Wednesday, 1/29 @ 6:00 PM, Reitz Union Game Room. See you there, Chris
Lyn-Sue, The Entrepreneurs Club, Secretary General,http://grove.ufl.edu/~tec
For more info contact [log in to unmask]

2. FLORIDA FRONTIERS LECTURE SERIES: Paul A. Colinvaux will present "The
Damage of False Paradigms in Science: The Case of Amazon Refuge Theory" at
7:30 p.m. Wednesday (tonight)at the Florida Museum of Natural History. The
lecture by Colinvaux, an Ohio State University professor emeritus and
adjunct scientist at Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Mass., is
part of the Florida Frontiers Lecture Series. The event is free and open to
the public.

"Colinvaux is at the center of an interesting controversy in ecology," said
Mark Brenner, director of the UF Land Use and Environmental Change
Institute. "He has vast field experience in remote areas such as the Arctic
and Galapagos Islands, and brings a real global perspective with a dynamic
lecturing style."

Students, faculty and community members will walk away from the lecture with
an appreciation that today's diverse ecosystems have a history and developed
over long periods of time, Brenner said.

A renowned ecologist and author of well-known texts such as "Why Big Fierce
Animals are Rare" and "Fate of Nations," Colinvaux's broad research
interests are in the areas of paleoecology and historical biogeography, with
a special emphasis on Amazonia. His research expeditions have included
Nigeria, the Galapagos Islands, Brazil, Ecuador, Panama, Siberia and the
Russian Kola Peninsula.

Colinvaux is the third speaker in the Florida Frontiers Lecture Series
celebrating UF's sesquicentennial celebration. Organized by the College of
Liberal Arts and Sciences, the series brings to campus prominent speakers
and performers who lead the frontiers of modern research. Speakers are
hosted at 7:30 p.m. each Wednesday.

3. TOASTMASTERS: UF Law's chapter of Toastmasters International will be
holding its
first meeting of the semester this Thursday, January 30th, at 5 PM in Rm.
190C of Bruton Geer Hall (law school campus).  Toastmasters is an
organization dedicated to helping individuals improve their speaking skills
in a friendly and supportive environment.  In other words, Toastmasters is a

fun and easy way to spend an hour of your week, and simultaneously improve
yourself.  We hope that you will come out and visit us.  For more
information, please feel free to e-mail me at [log in to unmask] or visit
www.toastmasters.org.  If you are interested, but won't be able to attend
our first meeting, please contact me for our future meeting times.
Reba Abraham, [log in to unmask]  (A great opportunity for you legal beagles!
SKD)

4. HISPANIC STUDENT ASSOCIATION would like to invite everybody to their
PEOPLE AWARENESS WEEK ACTIVITY. It will be a debate in STEREOTYPES OF
LATINOS: A DIVISION AMONGST OURSELVES...Come and learn in our open
discussion about LATINOS IN SOCIETY.... in  CSE room 222 WEDNESDAY Jan 29
(tonight)... For info contact Mariana Vicéns Rodríguez, Peer Educator for
C.A.R.E., Director of Cultural Affairs H.S.A., [log in to unmask]

5. UNIVERSITY SCHOLARS PROGRAM OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT:
The Office of the Provost is pleased to announce that the
University Scholars Program will be seeking undergraduate
participants for 2003-2004.  As the annual deadline of March 1
falls on a Saturday this year, the deadline for applications
will be March 3, 2003 in all departments.   Applications should be submitted
to the college or department in which the mentor is employed,
under the guidance of the regulations of that particular
college.  Applications and further details are available at
the University Scholars Program website, at
http://www.scholars.ufl.edu .

The University Scholars Program presents University of Florida
undergraduates with the opportunity to work closely with
faculty mentors while pursuing fundamental research, exploring
scholarly inquiry, and developing new knowledge.  University
Scholars will receive a $2500 research stipend in two
disbursements.  Scholars must be registered for at least one
research credit in summer 2003 in order to participate.
Scholars also have the opportunity to publish their work in
UF's on-line Journal of Undergraduate Research, and to present
their research in the University Scholars Symposium.

6. REITZ SCHOLARS: Applications are now available for the J. Wayne Reitz
Undergraduate Scholars Program.  The program was established to recognize
and encourage academic achievement, leadership, and service among
undergraduate students at the University of Florida.  Students selected as
Reitz Scholars receive an annual scholarship in the amount of $2500.  More
information can be found at http://www.ufsa.ufl.edu/OVP/reitz/reitz.htm
Applications are due March 16 to 155 Tigert Hall. (This a very competitive
award
worth pursuing. Honors students have been very successful in winning this
award.)

7. MORTARBOARD: Now's the time to consider joining Mortar Board national
honor society
 with 200,000 members and a tradition of excellence that recognizes college
 seniors for ability and achievement in scholarship, leadership, and
 service. The Trianon chapter at UF will accept 50 new members to carry its
 torch for the upcoming academic year.  An information session will be held
on
Tues., Feb. 11th at 7:00 pm in the  Reitz Union Auditorium.  Application are
available in the Student
 Activities Center (SAC, 3rd fl. Reitz Union) and the Dean of Student's
 Office (Peabody Hall) and are due by 4:00 p.m. Fri., Feb. 25 at the SAC.
 Mortar Board recommends that all potential members be of at least junior
 standing, carry a minimum 3.0 GPA and are not graduating before December
 2003. Questions? Contact membership chairs Robert Simmons, [log in to unmask];
or Daniel E. Borovsky, [log in to unmask]

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name of the event in the subject line.