Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:17:33 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Monday, February 10, 2003

Topics:

1. Executive Application for positions in RECURSO
2. Entrepreneurs Club
3. Improv Group "Theater Strike Force" Comes to Hume
4. College of Business Welcome Event in Hume
5. Summer Internships for Students in Science and Math
6. Great Discount Tickets at the Performing Arts Center
7. City Commission Debates Resolution re War in Iraq

Details:

1. EXECUTIVE APPLICATION FOR POSITIONS IN RECURSO: Are you looking to make a
difference in the lives of hundreds of children? Well here is your chance to
do so ! RECURSO, a newly established non-profit student organization is
looking for students to make a difference in the lives of hundreds of
children who suffer from cancer, AIDS, OR malnutrition in underdeveloped
countries such as Zimbabwe, Peru, Tanzania, and Nicaragua!

RECURSO Executive Applications are out for next year!  We have some new
positions open and are looking for energetic, innovative leaders that are
willing to take RECURSO to the next step.  I encourage you all to apply!  We
are not looking for any specific qualifications just a passion for our
cause. So go to our temporary website and check out the application which
includes
all of the positions along with their main responsibilities.
www.geocities.com/recurso883

2. ENTREPRENEURS CLUB: This week we are happy to have Erik Sander lecture on
"How to build a winning business team in the eyes of a venture capitalist."
Erik Sander used to be a serial entrepreneur. He currently owns his own
business and is the Director of Industry Programs here at UF. With his
background as a venture capitalist, he will surely be able to give us some
insight in entrepreneurship. We are so lucky to have such influential
speakers come and share their knowledge with us. So come join us this
Wednesday, February 12 at 6:00PM in NEB 102. Hope to see you all there,Chris
Lyn-Sue
The Entrepreneurs Club,Secretary General,[log in to unmask]
http://grove.ufl.edu/~tec/TREPRENEURS CLUB:

3. "THEATER STRIKE FORCE" COMES TO HUME: Theater Strike Force
University of Florida's premier improv group is coming to Hume!
Wednesday February 12th 8:00 pm in the Commons.
This group is really funny. It's like "Whose Line is it Anyway?"... only
better and LIVE. Don't miss this performance!E-mail [log in to unmask] if you
have questions.
See you there! -Student Honors Organization-
(I saw this group today at the Women's Leadership Conference and they were
very entertaining. SKD)

4. COLLEGE OF BUSINESS WELCOME EVENT IN HUME:

The Undergraduate Programs Office at the Warrington College of Business
invites you to a

First Year Scholars Welcome Reception

WHO:        All UF First Year Students in the College of Business with a
            history of academic achievement.
WHAT:       A Welcome Reception (refreshments will be served!)
WHEN:       Monday, February 17th at 7:00pm
WHERE:      Honors Residential College (Hume Hall) Recreation Room
WHY:        To welcome you to the Warrington College of Business!

Come meet College of Business faculty and staff!
We want to help you succeed!

*** Please RSVP by Wednesday, February 12th ***
Email:  [log in to unmask]
Or call:  392-0165

(You don't need to live in Hume to attend!)

5. SUMMER INTERNSHIPS FOR STUDENTS IN SCIENCE AND MATH: Students interested
in a summer internship should consult the terrific list put together by
Teach for America at www.teachforamerica.org/pdfs/msinternship.pdfmerica
There are possibilities all over the country for different science and math
majors.

6.GREAT DISCOUNT TICKETS FOR STUDENTS AT THE PERFORMING ARTS CENTER. Student
tickets are available for UFPA sponsored performances at $ 6.00 for the
balcony. (Student tickets for River Dance are, alas, already sold out). The
remaining performances for this season that still have student tickets
available are:
Bobby McFerrin
Hubbard Street Dance Chicago
Mikel Rouse
Marcel Marceau
Lavay Smith
Vagina Monologues
AEROS
Merce Cunningham Dance Company
Academy of St. Martin Chamber Ensemble
Luma

For more info go to the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts Center
website at http://www.cpa.ufl.edu/ And a good idea to buy your student
tickets asap since there is a limited quantity for each show.

7. CITY COMMISSION DEBATES RESOLUTION RE WAR WITH IRAQ: Don't want war in
Iraq?  Help Gainesville join 60 other US cities in officially
declaring a city resolution against possible war in Iraq.  The Gainesville
City Commission will be discussing the resolution this MONDAY, FEB 10th.
Come to City Hall - Univ. Ave just East of Main street on the left hand side
coming from campus (across University from the current Courthouse and
Downtown Bus Stop) 5:30 - 6:30pm  to show YOUR support for the resolution.
You can take any bus that stops at City Hall Plaza.

Those who oppose such a Resolution are invited to participate as well.
Exercise your democratic rights whatever your position.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.