Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:04:22 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, February 12, 2003

Topics:

1. More info on the Reitz Scholars Program
2. Florida Frontiers Lecture today
3. Women's Leadership Conference Seeks Members
4. Study at Lancaster University Next Year (with reflections from a student
who was there last year)

Details:

1. MORE INFO ON THE REITZ UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARS PROGRAM: Applications are
now available for the J. Wayne Reitz Undergraduate Scholars Program.   The
program was established to recognize and encourage academic achievement,
leadership, and service among undergraduate students at the University of
Florida.  Students selected to be "Reitz Scholars" receive an annual
scholarship in the amount of $2,500.

Qualifications:

1. Full-time enrollment at UF as a degree  seeking undergraduate.
Applicants must have completed at least two semesters of undergraduate work
in residence by the end of the spring 2003 semester.  Students admitted for
fall 2002 are eligible as long as they completed the fall semester and will
complete the spring semester.

2. A 3.0 GPA in all academic work at UF.

3. Evidence of leadership and service at UF through student organizations,
academic groups, or other associations.

4. A high standard of ethical behavior.

The applications are available in the Division of Student Affairs Office,
155 Tigert Hall, and are downloadable from the Division web site at:
www.ufsa.ufl.edu/OVP/reitz/apply.htm

The deadline for completed applications is 12 noon on March 28, 2003.

2. FLORIDA FRONTIERS LECTURE 2/12: The lecture for this week is
"Crises in Modern Florida History" Michael V. Gannon, Distinguished Service
Professor,                       UF's Department of History, Wednesday,
February 12, 2003 at 7:30 p.m. , The Florida Museum of Natural History.

All lectures are free and open to the public. Visit www.clas.ufl.edu/150
for more information, or call (352) 846-2032.  Sponsored by the Colleges
of Agricultural and Life Sciences, Fine Arts, Journalism and
Communications, and Liberal Arts and Science.

(Prof. Gannon is one of the most widely respected historians of Florida
history. He is always interesting. SKD).

3. WOMEN'S LEADERSHIP COUNCIL SEEKS MEMBERS: Do you want to be a leader? Do
you want to make a difference in the lives of UF women?  If so, apply to be
on the 2003-2004 Women's Leadership Council.  Be a part of an extraordinary
group of UF undergraduate woman leaders and put on fantastic
programs, including the Women's Leadership Conference, Women's History
Month, and A.R.T (Artistic Reflections for Today).  The completed
applications are due March 7 by 5 pm in the Dean of Students Office in 202
Peabody Hall.  If you have any questions, please contact the Women's
Leadership Council at [log in to unmask]  Applications are currently
available online at www.dso.ufl.edu/wlc.

(I attended the Women's Leadership Conference this Sunday. A very impressive
event! SKD).

4. STUDY AT LANCASTER UNIVERSITY (ENGLAND) NEXT YEAR:  I am the university
contact for UF's program with Lancaster University. Students study for the
academic year at Lancaster and pay tuition at UF (mid October to June).
Lancaster is a small school (9000 students) three hours north of London in
the beautiful lake district. It is very strong in sciences and humanities.
Two honors students are there this year and enjoying it a lot. There are
also Lancaster students at UF if you would like to get info about what it is
like to study there. Deadline for application is April 1.
You can find more info about Lancaster at their web site at
http://www.lancs.ac.uk/  I am enclosing below some reflections written by a
UF student who studied there last year:

My year at Lancaster University was nothing short of magical.  I met heaps
of amazing people, saw loads of Europe, and truly experienced university
life in England.  The key for my successful year in Lancaster (really the
secret to happiness, for all intensive purposes I think) was the people.
The beauty of studying at Lancaster was you the opportunity to make many new
friends.  Now I'm sure you can get over there, hide in your room, and ignore
the new sights and sounds around you.  But if your willing to be friendly
and make new friends (the fact that your planning to study abroad speaks
volumes) I think it will turn out to be an absolutely priceless experience.

Ok, enough commentary, I'll give you some facts...

The town itself is your average Northwestern English town: small, wet,
packed with bars, and complete with a castle (very cool, I might add). It's
very clean and safe.  Despite the commonplace appearance, you'll find
yourself falling in love with Lancaster's simple charm.  The campus building
are actually quite ugly, but the surrounding hills are lovely.  It's much
more compact than UF (you can nearly walk its entirety under cover), and it
boasts the usual college amenities: gym, a "Graham Oasis-like" market, and
quite a few eateries (I wouldn't go so far to call them restaurants).

Lancaster city proper is about 3 miles from the campus, far, but walk able
(I did it once).  Must kids take buses, few have cars.

The general atmosphere might be the best part.  It's a much more personal
environment than UF.  It feels kind of like high school, but you can drink
and you have your own place.  You meet a lot of people through your college
(aka a social dorm with bar).  The entire student spectrum is present at the
bars and clubs, from Joe obscure to John stud.  You will undoubtedly see
those in your class out at clubs, but be careful because it can make for
some awkward situations the next morning in class.

Nearly everyone I knew had a single room, and the kitchen is the main social
hangout.  Some dorms are nicer than others but they are on par with most UF
dorms (think Weaver and East, not so much Murphree and Hall 2000).

The weather is certainly wet, but it's more a constant mist than daily
shower.  During the rainiest season, the winter, it will rain everyday.
When the sun finally presents itself come spring the Brits will flock
outdoors.

Traveling was almost too easy.  You can take trains everywhere in England
(invest in a Student Rail Card), and Liverpool airport is close by for
flights.  After sharpening your travel skills you'll be able to find cheap
flights all over Europe.  (I flew to Amsterdam for $40.)

Money is a difficult to specify.  England it definitely more expensive than
Gainesville (I found that everything is the same price, but just in pounds),
but not nearly as bad as London where a beer can set you back $7.  I spent
the most money on night life.  That can easily be curbed, and grocery
shopping, in place of restaurants, is always your best bet.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.