Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:09:17 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Thursday, February 13, 2003

Topics:

1. Career Development Workshop for Pre-Law Students
2. Teach for America (seniors)
3. Women's History Month Deadline Extended
4. Engineering Fair
5. Raise Your Voice: Make an Impact

Details:

1. HONORS STUDENTS INTERESTED IN A LAW CAREER: On Saturday, February 22nd,
2003, we will be conducting the 3rd Annual Career Development Conference.
It will run from 9:30 am until 5:15 pm at the Sheraton Hotel Gainesville.
The Conference will feature 14 panels covering various fields of legal
practice.  The panels will feature professors and currently practicing
attorneys, answering any questions you might have regarding the study and
practice of law.  We will also be providing lunch, courtesy of Gray, Harris
& Robinson, P.A.  (That's right...FREE LUNCH).  This event is FREE and open
to all UF students.   We encourage undergrads to attend, as it is never too
early to get a jump on planning your legal career.  Professional dress is
appreciated.  For more information, including the scheduled panels and
directions to the Sheraton, please visit our website at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~lcc/conference. Thank you and hope to see you there,
Michael Woods, Career Development Conference, Publicity Chair. (This looks
like a very informative conference for anyone interested in a law career.
SKD)

2. WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH DEADLINE EXTENDED: Dear Organizational Leader~ If
your organization
wished to submit an event for Women's History Month to the Women's
Leadership Council, but didn't submit it in time, the DEADLINE for
submitting a program or applying for a mini grant has been POSTPONED!!  If
your organization would still like to sponsor an event, go to
www.dso.ufl.edu/whm and submit an online form!  We look forward to your
event in March!

ALSO, The Women's Leadership Council and the Panhellenic Council of UF will
be co-sponsoring a charity drive for the local women's abuse shelter,
Peaceful Paths, throughout the month of March.  We will be collecting things
like toilet paper, toothbrushes, feminine products, cosmetics, cleaning
supplies, razors, etc.  We would be very happy to have more organizations
take part in this wonderful charity-if your organization would like to be
included, or for more information, contact Natasha Chida at
[log in to unmask]  Besides being a worthy cause, it will also create great
publicity for your organization. Lastly, whoever collects the most will win
a plaque from WLC!  Help us help the community.

3. TEACH FOR AMERICA DEADLINE: You want to change things. Start today.
Apply to Teach For America and join the force of
leaders committed to change.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 21ST, 2003

Teach For America is the national corps of outstanding
recent college graduates of all academic majors who
commit two years to teach in urban and rural public
schools and become lifelong leaders in the effort to
expand opportunity for children.

Seeking all majors.  No previous education experience
or coursework necessary.  Full salary plus $9,450
education award and loan forbearance.  Application
deadlines are October 25, 2002 and February 21, 2003.

Visit www.teachforamerica.org to apply now.

4. ENGINEERING FAIR: On Tuesday and Wednesday of next week the Engineering
and Science Fair will be held from 9:00 am to 9pm in the Reitz union
Ballroom. The two day event will showcase the latest engineering technology
explored by the university and the private sectors. Visitors will see
autonomous robots, concrete canoes, nitrogen ice-cream, SAE formula race
cars and other wonders.

5. RAISE YOUR VOICE: MAKE AN IMPACT. Are you aware that Alachua County is
one of the poorest in the state? Did you know that the environment,
HIV/AIDS, equal education, homelessness, elderly, rural communities, and
low-income housing are major issues in the Gainesville community? It is very
easy to settle into the university area, but there is so much more to
Gainesville. Come out the Reitz Union Colonnade Friday, February 21, 2003
from 10:00 am- 3:00 pm to learn more. Service Ambassadors and Florida
Alternative Breaks are co-sponsoring RAISE YOUR VOICE: MAKE AN IMPACT to
bring these important issues to you. We will have information about how YOU
can get involved to make a difference with these issues. There will be
candy, fun, and facts! We will also be ! doing a book drive for elementary
aged children, please help us help people all over Alachua county! For more
information please email [log in to unmask]

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.