Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 Feb 2003 09:52:45 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Monday, February 17, 2003

Topics:

1. Backpack the Odum Trail
2. Islam on Campus Event about Malcolm X and Racism
3. Children's Miracle Network Charity Dinner
4. Undergraduate Summer Program at UCLA (pure and applied math)
5. Washington Center Internships info session

Details:

1. BACKPACK THE ODUM TRAIL is almost here!  On Feb. 21-23 the Travel and
Recreation Program (TRiP) will be going to the Odum Trail in the Cheaha
State Forest of Alabama.  Deadline to sign up is Tuesday.  Sign up in the
Outfitter, on the ground floor of the Reitz Union.  Contact Kyle Evans at
[log in to unmask] for more information!

2.  ISLAM ON CAMPUS EVENT ABOUT MALCOLM X AND RACISM: In honor of Islam
Awareness Month, Islam on Campus presents: The Evils of Sexism and Racism:
An Islamic Perspective
Tuesday, Feb 18th, at 6:30 in NEB 100

Come and learn from a prominent speaker about Islam's solution to racism, as
well as the life and message of Malcolm X!  Everyone is invited!  Hope to
see you there.

3. CHILDREN'S MIRACLE NETWORK CHARITY DINNER: Saturday February 22nd there
will be a dinner in Hume Commons with all proceeds benefiting the Children's
Miracle Network.  Come join us for great Italian food!  We will be serving
fettuccine alfredo and baked ziti.  Afterwards there will be a performance
by No Southern Accent with cookies and Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  Tickets are
only $10 a plate and will be sold outside of the Hume buildings Tues. from
4-6, Weds. from 4-8, Thursday from 4-8, and Fri. from 4-6.  Contact
[log in to unmask] with any questions.  Hope to see you there!

4. UNDERGRADUATE SUMMER PROGRAM AT UCLA: We are very excited to announce the
third year of a new summer program for undergraduates at UCLA's Institute
for Pure and Applied Mathematics.
We are recruiting talented national and international undergraduates and
would be grateful for your assistance in bringing this program to their
attention. Our program called Research in Industrial Projects for
Students ("RIPS") creates teams of 3-5 undergraduates paired with
faculty mentors and industry liaisons whose goal is to solve real-world
industrial problems.  More information, including comments from students
and information on prior projects can be found on our website at
http://www.ipam.ucla.edu/programs/rips2003/

Questions can be addressed to mailto:[log in to unmask]

You can view and/or print out a poster for the program  at
this url
http://www.ipam.ucla.edu/programs/rips2003/rips2003_poster.pdf

5. WASHINGTON CENTER INTERNSHIPS INFO SESSIONS: The Washington Center offers
internship opportunities during fall, spring and summer semesters for
undergraduate students (second semester sophomores and beyond with a minimum
2.75 gpa).  Internships are available in over 1000 public, private and
non-profit agencies in all fields and are open to all majors. Students are
placed in full-time positions for 15 weeks during spring and fall and 10
weeks during the summer and earn academic credits from UF.  The Washington
Center's Florida Scholarship Fund provides $ 4500.00 scholarships to
students from UF to help pay for the cost of the program in fall and spring
(in summer the scholarship is $ 3000.00).

Sandy Butler-Whyte will be on campus on February 26 and 27 (Wednesday and
Thursday of next week). Info sessions will take place at the Reitz Union on
both days at 9:30 am in room B74-75 (26th) and 282 (27th). If you cannot
attend the 9:30 session, you may wish to stop by at 11:00 to meet Ms.
Butler-Whyte.

You can find additional info on the TWC website at www.twc.edu

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.