Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:27:23 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Topics:

1. An Evening with Langston and Martin
2. Florida Frontier Lecture this week
3. BAMSA Discussion on Body Image
4. Entrepreneur's Club
5. Film and Discussion Series: Gender Roles on the Screen
6. Undergraduate Summer Program at UCLA (pure and applied math)
7. Washington Center Internships info session

Details:

1. AN EVENING WITH LANGSTON AND MARTIN: ACCENT, the Speaker's Bureau for
UF's Student Government,
will be presenting actors Danny Glover and Felix Justice on Tuesday,
February 18th at 8 pm in
the Stephen C. O'Connell Center. Many of you will recognize Mr. Glover as
one of our most famous film and stage actors.  Mr. Justice is an actor from
California who was responsible for giving Mr. Glover his first "break" in
acting.

Mr. Glover and Mr. Justice will give life to the  words of one of our
country's most famous poets, Langston Hughes and Martin Luther King Jr. in
"An Evening with  Langston and Martin." For more information, please contact
ACCENT in room 306 of the Student Activities Center located in the Reitz
Union, or at [log in to unmask] Please don't miss out on the opportunity to
hear two amazing speakers in honor of Black History Month.
Sign language interpreted.  For persons with disabilities requiring special
accommodations, please contact 392-2567 or e-mail [log in to unmask]

2. FLORIDA FRONTIER LECTURE THIS WEEK:

"Integrated Land Science: The Foundation of Global Environmental Change and
Sustainability"
Billie Lee Turner, II
Milton P. and Alice C. Higgins Professor of Environment & Society
Clark University
Wednesday, February 19, 2003
7:30 p.m.
The Florida Museum of Natural History
(Powell Hall)

3. BAMSA DISCUSSION ON BODY IMAGE: The Biracial and Multiracial Student
Association of UF will have a discussion on body image and perceptions of
beauty from a multicultural perspective this Thursday, February 20th from
6:30-7:30 in the Reitz Union. The discussion will be an informal meeting for
students to express their opinions on this and other loosely related topics.
Come to mingle and chat, and tell us what you think! What experiences have
made you feel beautiful or ugly? What impact has your ethnicity had on your
childhood and acceptance with peers? Come sit back, relax, and talk about
how ideal body images are shaped by the changing face of our global society
and culture.

**Don't forget to bring any Box Tops that have the "box-tops for education"
logo to donate to Rawlings Elementary School! Most Betty Crocker brands and
general mills cereal boxes qualify. You can also drop these off at the Dean
of Students Office, Peabody Hall, c/o Ebru.

4. ENTREPRENEUR'S CLUB: This week we are going to have our Student Owner
Speaker Series. TEC invites current University of Florida students that own
a business to come in and speak to us. We are happy to have Gil Sanchez,
founder of Florida's Finest and Brian Edelstein, CEO of INsite Magazine.
Florida's Finest Inc. publishes a collegiate swimsuit calendar featuring
students from Florida universities. Gil Sanchez and two other UF grads saw a
niche in the swimsuit calendar market and did not hesitate on capitalizing
on it. Gil will be distributing the latest swimsuit calendar to the first
100 people in attendance this Wednesday. Brian Edelstein is the president of
the very popular INsite magazine. This free monthly publication offers
entertainment news and has gathered a huge following among UF students. Come
out this Wednesday, February 19th at 6:00 PM in NEB 102 and hear their
success stories (and get a free swimsuit calendar.)  Chris Lyn-Sue,The
Entrepreneurs Club, Secretary
General,[log in to unmask],http://grove.ufl.edu/~tec/

5. FILM AND DISCUSSION SERIES: Greetings, all! I'd like to invite you to
attend a film and discussion series presented by the University of Florida's
Committee on Sexism and
Homophobia.

SCRIPTED REFLECTIONS: GENDER ROLES ON THE SCREEN
Film and Discussion Series

Time:  Tuesday Evenings from 5:00 - 6:30 pm

Location: Hume Classroom 119

Dates and Film Titles:
February 18th: What's Cooking
February 25th: Chutney Popcorn
March 4th: Love and Basketball

This program is free to all UF students and refreshments will be served.

For more information, contact Elaine Casquarelli at
[log in to unmask] or 392-1601 ext. 216.

6. UNDERGRADUATE SUMMER PROGRAM AT UCLA: We are very excited to announce the
third year of a new summer program for undergraduates at UCLA's Institute
for Pure and Applied Mathematics.
We are recruiting talented national and international undergraduates and
would be grateful for your assistance in bringing this program to their
attention. Our program called Research in Industrial Projects for
Students ("RIPS") creates teams of 3-5 undergraduates paired with
faculty mentors and industry liaisons whose goal is to solve real-world
industrial problems.  More information, including comments from students
and information on prior projects can be found on our website at
http://www.ipam.ucla.edu/programs/rips2003/

Questions can be addressed to mailto:[log in to unmask]

You can view and/or print out a poster for the program  at
this url
http://www.ipam.ucla.edu/programs/rips2003/rips2003_poster.pdf

7. WASHINGTON CENTER INTERNSHIPS INFO SESSIONS: The Washington Center offers
internship opportunities during fall, spring and summer semesters for
undergraduate students (second semester sophomores and beyond with a minimum
2.75 gpa).  Internships are available in over 1000 public, private,
non-profit
and government agencies in all fields and are open to all majors. Students
are
placed in full-time positions for 15 weeks during spring and fall and 10
weeks during the summer and earn academic credits from UF.  The Washington
Center's Florida Scholarship Fund provides $ 4500.00 scholarships to
students from UF to help pay for the cost of the program in fall and spring
(in summer the scholarship is $ 3000.00).

Sandy Butler-Whyte of TWC will be on campus on February 26 and 27 (Wednesday
and
Thursday of next week). Info sessions will take place at the Reitz Union on
both days at 9:30 am in room B74-75 (26th) and 282 (27th). If you cannot
attend the 9:30 session, you may wish to stop by at 11:00 to meet Ms.
Butler-Whyte.

You can find additional info on the TWC website at www.twc.edu
There are 9 UF students at TWC this spring semester.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.