Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:27:26 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Topics:

1. Spring Concert (UF Choral Department)
2. Florida Frontier Lecture this week (change of speaker)
3. Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship
4. Vote on the new Florida Quarter
5. Islam Awareness Month Speaker
6. College of Agriculture Summer Programs in France
7. UF Student Reports on Internship at the Washington Center this Semester
8. First Ever SHO Art Contest Viewing TODAY!

Details:

1. SPRING CONCERT: The UF Choral Department presents its spring concert this
Thursday,
February 20, at 8pm. It's FREE and in the University Auditorium. Four
different groups will perform--the University Choir, the Chamber Singers,
the Men's Glee Club, and the Woman's Chorale. The music selections include
all sorts of things, so there should be something everyone likes. See you
there!

2. FLORIDA FRONTIER LECTURE THIS WEEK: Due to the massive snowstorm in the
Northeast, the Florida Frontiers Lecture Series speaker scheduled on Feb.
19, Billie Lee Turner II, will
be unable to travel to Gainesville. Charles Wood, director of the Center
for Latin American Studies, Michael Binford, geography professor, and
Mark Brenner, director of the Land Use and Environmental Change
Institute at UF will present the lecture "Land Science and Global
Environmental Change: Across Space and Through Time." The lecture will
take place at 7:30 p.m. tonight at the Florida Museum of Natural History
(Powell Hall).

3. CHI ALPHA CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP will not have a general meeting this
Friday because we are going on a retreat.  Out next meeting is scheduled for
Friday, February 28 at 7:15 p.m. in the Reitz Union, room 349.  In the
meantime, check out http://grove.ufl.edu/~chialpha to find out more about
us.  Please e-mail Pastor Steve at [log in to unmask] to request information
about Chi Alpha's weekly small-group Bible studies and prayer meetings.

4. VOTE ON THE NEW FLORIDA QUARTER: Go to this site to vote for the new
Florida
quarter: http://www2.myflorida.com/apps/sto/quarterdesign/

5. IN HONOR OF ISLAM AWARENESS MONTH, Islam on Campus proudly presents:
"The Status of Civil Liberties in the U.S. after 9/11"
Thursday Feb. 20th Little Hall 109
6:30 pm, speech given by Sami Sl-Arian
Professor at USF
Come and learn something new!  Everyone is invited to attend!

6. COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE SUMMER PROGRAMS IN FRANCE:

1) June 3-July 26, 2003 - 8-week program at the Ecole Supérieure
d'Agriculture de Purpan (ESAP) in Toulouse, France. The program of study
includes 4 weeks of classes (intensive French language courses and subject
matter courses on European agriculture, etc.) at the ESAP campus followed
by a 4-week internship and a homestay with a French family. Students
(undergraduate and graduate) may earn up to 9 credits. For information,
please check the following website:
http://www.cals.ufl.edu/GlobalGators/GlobalGators.htm or contact Dr. Marta
M. Hartmann at [log in to unmask]

2) There are twenty places for students who wish to accompany Dr. Hartmann
and Dr. James Sterns on a one-week visit to ESAP this summer. Please
contact Dr. Hartmann (above) for dates and information.

College of Agriculture majors will be given preference but if there are
spaces available
other students may apply.

7. A UF STUDENT REPORTS ON HER INTERNSHIP AT THE WASHINGTON CENTER: I
thought you would
enjoy an e-mail I received from one of our UF students at the TWC this
semester.

<<I am starting my fourth week interning through The Washington Center in
Washington, DC.  Now that I am snowed in and have a few minutes to write, I
thought I'd let you all know how things are going.  I am in TWC's Nonprofit
Leaders program and I am interning at a national children's literacy
organization.  I am working with the Community Development team writing
grant proposals, working on Congressional outreach projects, and using
awarded grant money to implement a 20,000 book distribution.  The work
environment is fantastic...young, energetic, and dedicated to a wonderful
cause.

I am absolutely in love with Washington, DC.  The city's fast pace, culture,
sophistication, and intellectual atmosphere are exactly what I was looking
for.  DC law schools will be at the top of my list when I apply for
admittance Fall 2004.

I am taking advantage of every moment...visiting museums, monuments,
lectures, and special events.  I live in Alexandria, VA and have enjoyed Old
Town, as well.  My apartment is beautiful and I lucked out with 3 great
roommates.  I have even adjusted to the weather.  This is quite the winter I
picked to come up here! >>

You can find additional info on the TWC website at www.twc.edu

8. FIRST EVER SHO ART CONTEST VIEWING TODAY: Hey Honors Students!
Want a chance to see what your fellow honors students have come up with
in the first ever SHO Art Contest?

The Gallery Viewing, where we display some exceptional student-produced
art, will be held on Wednesday at 9 PM in the Hume Commons.

We need your help to decide who will be the grand prize winner from each
of our categories. We will have voting slips that will allow you to
choose which works you like the best, and from this we will select the
winners. So come out and support your fellow artists, and get a chance
to decide who will win the SHO Art Contest! Food and refreshments will
be provided for you to mingle and discuss your artistic visions of the
works presented.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.