Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Jan 2003 10:22:33 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, January 8, 2003

Topics:

1. Spaces in Honors Courses
2. Interested in becoming an Honors Ambassador?
3. HUME Book Buy-Back
4. "Alligator"  Open House
5. Friends for Life Meeting
6. RECURSO: Annual International Food Festival
7. Master of Science in Management Info Session and new combined degree
program (undergrad and grad)

Details:

1. SPACES IN HONORS COURSES: this afternoon I will release the few remaining
seats in Honors courses. If you are looking for a seat, you may want to
check on ISIS and see what is available. SKD

2. INTERESTED IN BECOMING AN HONORS AMBASSADOR? Come to a social gathering
this Thursday to learn more!  This will be our last activity together before
applications are due.

When:     Thursday, January 9, 2003, 7 p.m.
Where:  Matthews Lounge, Reitz Union (First Floor, next to the Career
Resource Center)

Pick-up an application this week in the Hume Area Office or the Honors
Office (140 Tigert Hall). Applications can also be found on our website
http://grove.ufl.edu/~honoramb.  They can be submitted to the Honors Office
beginning January 6, 2003.  At this time you will sign-up for an interview
time.  Applications are due Monday January 13th by 4:00 p.m.  Interviews
will be held January 14-16 in the evenings. For more information contact Ben
Wood at [log in to unmask]

3. HUME BOOK BUY-BACK:
Hume Old Book Buying Inface TwoThousandThree
AKA: H.O.B.B.I.T3

Sell your books to fellow Honors students for 1/2 Price*!

You Bought, You Read, You Learned
Now Sell Your Book!!!

SIGN-UP IN HUME COMMONS!

REMEMBER: CLASS, TITLE & EDITION, AUTHOR, PUBLISHER, ISBN#
            + A WAY TO CONTACT YOU w/ NAME (PHONE# &/or EMAIL)

* 1/2 The Current Selling Price, Preferably More Than BuyBack!

4. ALLIGATOR OPEN HOUSE: The Alligator is having an open house Thursday from
1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at
the office on University Avenue across from Bank of America. Anyone
interested in writing, copy editing, Detours, photo, or editorial can
come to learn about opportunities for the sememster.

5. FRIENDS FOR LIFE MEETING: Interested in helping children with cancer?
Come to the next Friends for Life meeting this Thursday night, January 9th
and get involved!  The meeting will be at 7pm in room 286 of the Reitz
Union.  We will be discussing upcoming events and programs for the semester,
such as the Mile for a Child 5k and our Global Outreach program.  Please
feel free to attend.  We hope to see you there!

Friends for Life of America is a national student organization that provides
educational, emotional, and financial support for pediatric patients living
with cancer.

6. RECURSO Presents its
     " Annual International Food Festival"
    Saturday January 18, 2003 at Club Eden
                    from 5:30-9:00pm.
        Tickets are ONLY $ 7 at the door

Come and Experience a Night Full of Flavor!
Introducing Orlando's Most Renowned DJ
" X Conn", Spinning the hottest in Reggae, Salsa,
Hip-Hop and so much more...
With Special performances by CARIBSA, Hip Hop Collective,
The Dominican Student Association, and Salsa Caliente

RECURSO, is a non-profit organization that garners donations            in
terms of money, clothes, food, and medicine for children in
third world countries who suffer from cancer, AIDS, and   malnutrition.

7. An MSM (Masters of Science in Management) information session
is scheduled for Wednesday, January 15th at 7:00 p.m. in 101 Stuzin Hall.
The point-of-contact for the MSM program is Ms. Glynda Hailey.  Her primary
contact info is as follows: [log in to unmask]; 201 Stuzin Hall; (352)
392-2943.  Interested students can contact a current MSM student at

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT A NEW COMBINED DEGREE PROGRAM (a bachelors degree and
the MSM degree). The Warrington College of Business has decided to make the
MSM program available to undergraduate students via a "4/1" option.  This
option allows students to count up to twelve credits of graduate work taken
as an undergraduate towards a master's degree.  The College plans to
accommodate up to 40 students in the Fall of 2003 and 80 students in the
Fall of 2004.

The model to "double count" up to twelve credits is as follows:

4/1 MSM Model

Junior Year (spring): Apply to the MSM Program and complete GMAT by 1 June
Senior Year (fall): ECP 5702 Managerial Economics (2 credits in module 1)
Senior Year (spring): ECO 5715 Open Economy Macro (2 credits in module 3)
Senior Year (summer A): European Study Tour (2 credits)

Senior Year (summer B, 6 credits):
- GEB 5215 Professional Writing/ Communication (2 credits)
- MAN 6636 Global Strategic Management (2 credits)
- BUL 5811 Managers and the Legal Environment (2 credits)

Graduate Year (fall module 1, 5 credits):
- ACG 5005 Financial Accounting (2 credits)
- MAR 5620 Introduction to Managerial Statistics (2 credits)
- MAN 5265 Groups & Teams (1 credit)

ETC.

Future of Dual Undergraduate Degrees

In the Fall of 2003, the College will no longer allow students to declare a
secondary undergraduate degree in business.  For example, an undergraduate
in political science will no longer be allowed to pursue a secondary
bachelor's degree in business.  Instead, students who wish to study business
as a secondary focus will be advised to pursue a minor in business and/or
the MSM Program.

(For students in Liberal Arts majors, for example, this combined degree
program is an excellent way to graduate in five years with an undergraduate
degree and an MSM!  That ought to be a winning combination job-wise. Some
students may be able to do it in four!)

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)
and put the name of the event in the subject line.