Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:23:51 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, March 5, 2003

Topics:

1. Registering for Summer and Fall Courses
2. Reitz Scholars Program
3. Dinner with 12 Strangers
4. Florida Frontiers Lecture: "Watchdog Role of the Press"
5. Women's History Month Events
6. High School Spring Break "Arts Camp"
7. A Few Openings in Rome Program (summer B)

Details:

1. REGISTERING FOR SUMMER AND FALL COURSES: UF Schedule of Courses for
Summer and Fall will be on-line on March 10 at http://www.reg.ufl.edu/soc/
The Honors Course booklet should be available at www.honors.ufl.edu by March
17 or 18. Honors course registration is March 27 and 28.

If you haven't already done so, go to www.isis.ufl.edu to look up your
Registration start time in April.  (Registration Preparation
Information--right side of the screen).

If you plan to take courses elsewhere, click on the Transient Student Form
on the left side of ISIS-- www.isis.ufl.edu

Consider doing an internship for credit this summer. You may be able to earn
credit through your major. If it is too soon, you can earn credit through
Honors. We have a form that needs to be filled in to start the process
rolling. You can find the form at www.honors.ufl.edu Click on internships
and then on IDH4940. We can help you figure out how to find an internship.
If you are in a bookstore, I recommend taking a look at the "Internship
Bible." This is just one of many books that will get you started.

2. REITZ SCHOLARS PROGRAM: Applications are now available for the J. Wayne
Reitz Undergraduate Scholars Program.   The program was established to
recognize and encourage academic achievement, leadership, and service among
undergraduate students at the University of Florida.  Students selected to
be "Reitz Scholars" receive an annual scholarship in the amount of $2,500.
Qualifications:
1. Full-time enrollment at UF as a degree  seeking undergraduate.
Applicants must have completed at least two semesters of undergraduate work
in residence by the end of the spring 2003 semester.  Students admitted for
fall 2002 are eligible as long as they completed the fall semester and will
complete the spring semester.
2. A 3.0 GPA in all academic work at UF.
3. Evidence of leadership and service at UF through student organizations,
academic groups, or other associations.
4. A high standard of ethical behavior.
The applications are available in the Division of Student Affairs Office,
155 Tigert Hall, and are downloadable from the Division web site at:
www.ufsa.ufl.edu/OVP/reitz/apply.htm
The deadline for completed applications is 12 noon on March 28, 2003.
(Many of our prestigious scholarship winners have also been Reitz Scholars.
)

3. DINNER WITH 12 STRANGERS:The Student Alumni Association will sponsor
another round of the successful Dinner with 12 Strangers program on April 2
and April 6. Don't miss out on your chance to host one of this semester's
dinners. This program connects current UF students with alumni and helps
personalize the University of Florida experience for today's students. For
this event, alumni in Gainesville open their homes to students for small
dinner parties, bringing these "strangers" together in a warm, friendly
environment for good food, conversation and Gator camaraderie. If you are an
alumnus living in Gainesville and are interested in being a part of this
program, contact Michelle Lovell at (352) 392-1667. (Last semester several
honors students I know did this and had an enjoyable evening. SKD)

4. FLORIDA FRONTIERS LECTURE: "A Test Case for Newsgathering: The Changing
Watchdog Role of the Press" Florida Frontiers Lecture for Wednesday March 5
at 7:30 PM
Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, Black Box Theatre
Sponsored by the College of Journalism and Communications

Laurence Alexander, associate professor and former chair of the
Department of Journalism at the University of Florida will lecture on "A
Test Case for Newsgathering: The Changing Watchdog Role of the Press."
Recently, Alexander was named Freedom Forum Journalism Teacher of the
Year (2002) and a UF Alumni Association Distinguished Alumni Professor
(2001-03). He has written extensively on media law issues and will
discuss the watchdog function of the press in the context of work done
by journalists who tested and reported on lapses in airport security in
the aftermath of the Sept.11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
Visit http://www.napa.ufl.edu/2003news/frontiers3-5.htm to read the
online news release.

5. WOMEN'S HISTORY MONTH EVENTS: So far, more than fifty exciting events
have been planned by UF departments and student organizations. Highlights
for this month include the 10th Annual Black Female Extravaganza;
Celebrations & Explorations:
A Jewish Women's History Series; Career Resource Center Lunches on the
Lawn; Females First in the Hearts of Their Countrymen; The Vagina
Monologues; The Sexual Politics of Meat; and a Body Dysmorphic Forum.
Other events include a self-defense day, health series workshops,
artistic performances and exhibitions, reproductive rights workshops,
and women's athletic events.

Throughout the month of March, the Women's Leadership Council and the
Panhellenic Council will be co-sponsoring a toiletries drive for
Peaceful Paths Domestic Abuse Network. Items that will be collected
include toothpaste, toilet paper, cosmetics, and other toiletries.
Clothing is not among the top priorities of this drive. If you would
like to donate items, please contact Natasha Chida at [log in to unmask]

To access the complete calendar of events for Women's History Month,
please visit http://www.dso.ufl.edu/whm. Please direct general questions
regarding Women's History Month to Melissa Johnson, Women's History
Month Chair at (352) 392-1261 or [log in to unmask]

6. HIGH SCHOOL SPRING BREAK "ARTS CAMP"
ARTES and other National ARTS chapters (including
Harvard and Columbia Universities) are coordinating
the first Spring Break Arts Camp for over 100
underprivileged Ocala elementary and middle school age
students!  This is an incredible opportunity for
students to be immersed in art, dance, music, acting,
communications....at NO cost to them or their
families!
We need volunteers and counselors to be with the
students:
(in Ocala) 7:30am-2pm, (Mon) 3/24- (Thurs)3/27
(in Ocala)7:30am-4pm, (at UF) 5pm-9pm (Fri) 3/28
You don't have to be available the entire blocks.
Even if you can only contribute an hour, that's great!
 We can also provide you with rides to and from Ocala.
If you can help, please contact Marcia at [log in to unmask]

7. STUDY IN ROME SUMMER B: I am writing to inform you that there are a few
openings in the Rome B Program.
Rome B runs from June 29-Aug. 8. Classes offered are: ITA 1130, 1131; ARH
4312 Art History of the High Renaissance (Michelangelo, Leonardo, Raphael)
and Classics 3930 Daily Life in Ancient Rome.

Included in the program cost are: 6 credits of tuition (even if you take 8
credits, you still only pay for 6); 40 nights in a 4 star hotel with
AirConditioning (a must in July and Aug. in Rome); housing on a 2 day field
trip to Pompeii and the Island of Ischia and a 4 day, 3 night trip to
Florence; transportation to and from on field trips; 16 group meals; and
entrance fees to all sponsored museums. Contact me or UFIC in 123 Grinter
for further information.  You can download the application from:
www.ufic.ufl.edu. Michael Paden, Rome Program Director, 355 Dauer, 392-2016
ext. 241

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.