Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:37:01 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, March 18, 2003

Topics:

1. Deadline Extended for Study Abroad
2. Lecture: "Data! Data! Data!: Opportunities and Challenges of the Coming
Data Deluge"
3. Camp Fair
4. CLASSC Hall of Fame
5. Lecture: "Transatlantic Relations"
6. Conference on Children, Culture and Violence
7. SHO Book Club: Exciting Book Club News

Details:

1. DEADLINE EXTENDED FOR STUDY ABROAD: For summer 2003 and fall/year 2003/04
program application deadlines have been extended to Friday April 4.
Scholarship deadlines also extended to Monday April 1. For info contact UF
International Center at 123 Grinter, 392-5323.  You can download
applications at www.ufic.ufl.edu

2. PHI BETA KAPPA LECTURE: The Department of Statistics and Phi Beta Kappa
are pleased to announce the following presentation.

Speaker : Professor David L. Donoho
Date    : Thursday, March 20, 2003
Time    : 7:30 p.m.
Location : Health Science Center,  Communicore building C1-11
Talk:  Data! Data! Data!: Opportunities and
         Challenges of the Coming Data Deluge

This lecture will focus on the incipient Data Era,
where the acquisition and exploitation of massive
statistical databases is the primary activity of
scientists, business people, and policy makers, and
where the effectiveness of massive investments in
information technology depend on statistical
pattern recognition.

This talk is at a level suitable for GENERAL
audiences.

About Professor Donoho:

Academics:     Professor of Statistics, Stanford 1990--.
    Faculty member, Berkeley 1984-1997
Research: statistical decision theory; statistical methodology; wavelet
analysis; signal and image processing; Development of software tools for
display of complex, multidimensional data.

3. CAMP FAIR: Do you still need a summer job? Are you looking to make a
strong impact on
younger people? Come to the Summer Camp Job Fair Wednesday, March 26 from
9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. to check out summer opportunities. The Reitz Union
Colonnade will be filled with camp representatives seeking outgoing students
looking to have fun over summer break. For more information contact the
Career Resource Center at 392-1601 ext. 219.

4. CLASSC HALL OF FAME: the College of Liberal Arts and Science Student
Council is now taking applications for the Hall of Fame. Applicants must be
a graduating senior, majoring in CLAS.   Aplications are due the 26 of
March. Applications can be picked up at our office in academic advising
(AAC) or printed from our website (http://grove.ufl.edu/~classc). I am also
requesting volunteers on the search committee. I am looking for two english
majors, two physical science majors, two humanities majors, and two social
science majors.  Those interested in the committee can emial me at

5. LECTURE on "Transatlantic Relations": Thursday, March 20, 2003
Keene Faculty Center 3pm

Karsten Vogt
(Coordinator for German-American Relations in the German Foreign Office)
will give a presentation on
"Transatlantic Relations"

He's a former member of the German Bundestag and former president of the
Parliamentary Assembly of NATO. He speaks excellent English.(Sponsored by
the German Consulate in Miami and the Department of German and Slavic
Studies)

6. CONFERENCE ON CHILDREN, CULTURE AND VIOLENCE: The Center for Children's
Literature and Culture and the Law School's Center for Children and the Law
will be hosting an
interdisciplinary conference -- Children, Culture, and Violence --  this
coming Thursday, Friday, and Saturday (March 20th - 22nd), at the Harn
Musuem and the Sheraton Hotel. The keynote speakers include:  Geoffrey
Canada, Ntozake Shange, and Harry Anstead, Chief Justice of the Florida
Supreme Court. The program for the
conference is at:       http://childconference.ichp.edu

All of the keynote speeches are free and open to the public, though
seating is limited.  The Geoffrey Canada talk requires a ticket, so please
contact Prof. John Cech, if you are interested in attending:

Saturday morning, March 22nd at 10:00 a.m., Fernando Romero will screening
the series of short films, "No More Lies," and discussing his work.

Mr. Romero is a producer, writer and director of films.  He is currently
based in Montreuil, France, where he also directs the organization "Dire,
Faire Contre le Racisme" ("Speak, Act Against Racism.")  D.F.C.R. was
begun in 1997 in order to explore what Mr. Romero refers to as the
"everyday" acts of racism that fill daily life.  D.F.C.R.'s first major
project was to initiate and produce (with Litte Bear Productions and
Bertrand Tavernier) a series of twelve short films collectively titled
"Pas d'Histoires!" ("No More Lies!") about racism "in the
quotidian."  The films were all based on the original scenarios created by
young people between the ages of 16 and 26, many of whom had not worked on
any film projects before.

7. SHO BOOK CLUB: EXCITING BOOK CLUB NEWS

After all the wait, it's finally here: The Week of Book Club!!  Our first
meeting at the Oxford Coffee Company (a.k.a. The Ox) is THIS WEDNESDAY,
March 19, at 7:00pm.

We are discussing the book "A Prayer for Owen Meany," the book that was the
basis for the movie "Simon Birch."  Come to the Ox at 7pm on Wednesday March
19th and tell everyone what you think about the book!!!

We will have coffee and pastries at the meeting.  If you need directions,
e-mail me and I'll send them to you.  Also, if you haven't RSVP'd, there is
still time, just email me and I'll put you on the list!!  Come and support
the All-New Honors Book Club and see what you've been missing!! Emily
Mitchem

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.