Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: SHO ELECTION INFORMATION
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:21:13 -0500

Hello Honors Students!

Below you will find the profiles of all of the students running for officer
positions for the 2003-2004 school year.  Voting will be online on
Wednesday, March 26; a link will be emailed to you then.  These students
will be responsible for all of the programs organized for you next year, so
please take some time to read these and VOTE!  Thanks.

The SHO Officers

President: John Boyles and Jamie Floyd
Vice President: Katherine Croswell and Laughton Bernstein
Treasurer: Sue Andres and Brian Tobin
Technology Director: Stephanie Tegreeny
Secretary: Emily Mitchem and Jenny Kampmeier

Running for President: John Boyles and Jamie Floyd
(1) JOHN BOYLES
Hometown: Orlando
Major: Music
SHO Experience?: Yes
If yes, what position?: Business Manager

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization? I
think another huge tradition like Haunted Hume would be great for the middle
of the spring semester, such as a giant sports/game competition to enjoy the
great spring weather.  Another great thing would be to go to Lake Wauburg
and go sailing and have a party.  I want to see more opputunitties for the
memebers of SHO, the honors students, to be able to meet their professors on
a personal basis, in environments such as an open house by the residential
faculty person and a early evening social at the Union.  Also, I want to
bring in the Career Resource Center to allow students to get career/major
counseling and get help with resumes, internships, etc.  A workshop on
pursuing scholarships would be great.  I would also like to get the honors
students involved with the Boys and Girls Club for a Valentine's Day party
and also woth nursing homes for this holiday.

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization? SHO is a great organization that provides incredible
opportunities for the students, its memebers.  The activities enrich the
lives of these students and allows them to have a venue to be able to meet
other people while having fun.  My experience serving as an officer has
given me great new friends and allowed me to participate in bringing a great
group of honors students together.  My favorite thing about SHO is the fun
times it provides for everyone.

(2) JAMIE FLOYD
Hometown: Palm Harbor, FL
Major: Nutrition (Pre-Med) or Nursing
SHO Experience: YES
If yes, what position?: Chair of Community Service Committee

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization?
    One of my biggest priorities as President would be to enhance the
knowledge and accessibility of the Student Honors Organization and the
events.  I want to get more honors students involved in the many activities
and opportunities available.  I think interaction between honors students
will create the potential for growth as a united group of students with
similar interests, goals, and future aspirations.  I believe that coming
together will allow the honors students to do wonderful things on and off
campus with the many talents that everyone possesses.  It is just a matter
of bringing together these talented people in an organized fashion to make
an impact.
    Communication is a key element in any organization.  The Student Honors
Organization already has an exceptional website, an active list-serv, and a
good connection with university communication and announcement systems.  I
would like to create a monthly newsletter to be sent out to all honors
students informing them of future events, talking about past events,
displaying pictures of the many activities students have participated in
through SHO.  I would also include several other sections, such as, \'most
involved student of the month\' that would bring out the best of our honors
students.  I believe this will increase the excitement and give all honors
students a more direct affiliation to the organization.  A newsletter would
be a great attribute to SHO and I want to make it happen!
    Community service is a major priority in my life and I know it is in a
lot of others' too.  I believe that we all can unify and create our very own
programs and develop new community service projects to initiate in our
community.  I know that all of you have wonderful ideas and it is just a
matter of getting the resources to make them happen.  I am willing to do
anything to obtain the resources and do everything I can to make your
community service aspirations come true.  With so many wonderful, creative
ideas, I know that through SHO we can come together as leaders to make a
huge impact on other people's lives.

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization? SHO is a remarkable organization that provides a unique
opportunity to get involved in everything and that is one of the biggest
reasons that I think it is so wonderful.  Unlike many other organizations
that concentrate on one specific event or area of interest, SHO is able to
put on a wide range of diverse activities and events that appeal to all
honors students.  We are open to all students' suggestions and will gladly
create new programs from your ideas.  We are not limited to doing only one
certain type of service, we can do it all!  We are here to meet the needs
and desires of all types of people, providing an extensive range of
opportunities.   We do not cater to one specific major or interest, our
bounds are endless.  Being involved in SHO is like being involved in a ton
of different clubs.  You have unlimited options and opportunities to be
involved in several different projects, ranging from Habitat for Humanity to
March of Dimes, without having to commit to just one.  We are open to new
ideas while at the same time continuing to put on events that have been
successful and well-liked in the past.  I look forward to expanding this
wonderful opportunity in the coming year and getting to meet all of the many
talented students here at UF through our many socials and projects.

Running for Vice President: Kathrine Croswell and Laughton Bernstein
(1) KATHERINE CROSWELL
Hometown: St. Petersburg
Major: Criminology
SHO Experience: No

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization?
I have quite a few ideas that I'd love to bring to the table for the 2003-4
school year.  One of them would be to match up 1st year Honors students with
2nd year Honors students in a big brother or big sister program. It may help
new students acclimate to UF a little faster if they have another student to
talk to that's been through their first year in the Honors Program.  I also
think that we need to make more of an effort to reach out to students that
don't live in Hume so that more of them take part in SHO. The last one I'll
mention is to have a Hume Field Day. Much like the mud wars between Tolbert,
East, etc., I think we should have a competition between Honors students in
Hume East, Hume West, and those not living in Hume.  The field day would
contain a variety of events including tug-of-war and relay races. At the end
of the day there could be a large barbeque and live music.

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization?
SHO is important to me because it keeps Honors students connected.  It
provides fun and educational things to do throughout the week, and reminds
you that studying isn't the only thing that's important if you want to be
well-rounded.  SHO provides a lot of opportunities to Honors students that
traditional students don't have.  What I like most about SHO is that it's an
organization that actually cares whether you're having a fun semester and
being provided with as many opportunities as possible. I want to be a part
of that!

(2) LAUGHTON BERNSTEIN
Hometown: St. Petersburg
Major: Political Science
SHO Experience: No

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization?
I think a scavenger hunt across campus could be really fun.  Also I think a
Sock Hop would be a great way to get people together for Valentine's Day.

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization?
SHO is important to me, because it has helped me get to know some really
awesome people.  I like being involved and SHO makes that possible.  My
favorite thing about SHO is that it makes campus not seem so vast and
overwhelming.  It lets new student meet one another in a social environment
to discover their common interests.

Running for Treasurer: Brian Tobin and Sue Andres
(1) BRIAN TOBIN
Hometown: Coral Springs
Major: mechanical engineering
SHO Experience: yes
If yes, which position?: service committee

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization?
Giving the committees a detailed budget at the beginning of the semester
would help give them an idea exactly what their financial capabilities are,
and how best to divide the money fairly.

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization? My favorite thing about the organization is that it's so
diverse, offering honors students so many opportunities.  This is why the
organization is important to me.

(2) SUE ANDRES
Hometown: Marietta, GA
Major: Magazine Journalism
SHO Experience: Yes
If yes, which position?: Social Committee Chair

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization?
Generally, I want SHO to continue to grow as an organization, putting on
both more diverse events, and a larger quantity of quality programs. Some
possible ideas:
a hip-hop night
organizing more sports at Hume (i.e. a football league, etc.)
bring prominent local bands to perform more frequently
Battle of the Bands
More tailgating, parties for basketball too
Beach trip
bowling night
paintball
camping
pillow fight
and much more...

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization? I think SHO is a big part of what makes the Honors Program as
a whole great. It helps bring honors students together, and creates a sort
of community within a very large campus. Within that community, though, the
possibilities are endless.  My favorite thing about SHO?  The diversity,
without question. The only thing we all have in common is that we're smart
(supposedly). As a member of this organization, the opportunities are
limitless. It forces us to constantly be expanding our vision, and to create
new and different events. You guys keep us on our toes.

Running for Technology Director: Stephanie Tegreeny
(1) STEPHANIE TEGREENY
Hometown: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Major: pharmacy
SHO Experience: yes
If yes, what position?: Community Service Committee

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization? I
think that having more events at places besides Hume (both on-campus and
off) will encourage more honors students that live in other areas to attend
and become involved.  Other than that, I think SHO does a great job at
providing tons of activites for all honors students.

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization? SHO is important to me because it provides honors students
many opportunities to get involved.  My favorite thing about the
organization is the fact that every honors student is automatically a
member, which makes it a very diverse and interesting group of people, not
to mention the fact that it proves that honors students do a heck of a lot
more than study!

Running for Secretary: Emily Mitchem and Jenny Kampmeier

(1) EMILY MITCHEM
Hometown: Rincon, GA
Major: History
SHO Experience: yes
SHO Position: Academic Committee

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization? I
think we should get a SHO bulletin board and post a huge SHO calendar of
events on it, so everyone can come into the Commons and see what's being
planned.  The Calendar could be laminated, and the events could be written
on in dry erase marker, or we could simply make a new calendar every month,
or we could get a chalk board/bulletin board.  I think that'd be a good way
for everyone to see upcoming events, besides having to go to the website.

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization? I think it's a great organization for honors students, and
especially Hume students.  We have more events than any other area
government, and we put pride into the events that we plan, from conception
to finish.  I think what I like the most, however, is how we can have such a
diverse group of events and how our events are different from other area
governments' and other organzations' events.

(2) JENNY KAMPMEIER
Hometown: Altamonte Springs, FL
Major:  Music Performance - Flute
SHO Experience: No

What new, specific ideas do you have for the Student Honors Organization?
I'd like to continue the effort made to acquire a piano for the activity
room. I\'d like to provide a resource for students interested in
volunteering - not just for single activities but for work on a more regular
basis with different organizations around Gainesville. Another idea I\'ve
had is to organize a peer-to-peer counseling or help network, with the focus
on creating a more productive, healthy, successful student.

Why is SHO important to you, and what is your favorite thing about the
organization?
Sundaes on Sunday!!
Just kidding, that\'s only ONE of my favorite things about this
organization. SHO is important to me because it made me feel comfortable
when I was nervous about going to college. I read SHO\'s activities for the
first week of school and said to myself, \"Wow, this might not be so bad
after all.\" My favorite thing about the organization is probably the
diversity - so many different kinds of people who have passions for almost
every field at UF are found in one place. It is truly a unique group on
campus.