Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:15:35 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Monday, March 31, 2003

Topics:
1. Competition to Participate in LEADERSHAPE
2. Congratulations to our New SHO OFFICERS!
3. Getting Credit for an Internship
4. Prestigious Scholarship Class (IDH 4917)
5. Support the University Symphony Orchestra
6. College of Medicine Needs Students for a Focus Group
7. SACS Accreditation Team Wants to Meet Students
8. Washington Center Internship Deadline Extended
9. "The Robotics Road Show": SHO Scholars Series
10. Check the Archives for these Events TODAY:
A. Lecture on the US/IRAQ War and Terrorism

Details:

1. HONORS WILL SPONSOR ONE MORE STUDENT FOR LEADERSHAPE. We are already
sponsoring the President of SHO and Honors Ambassadors and one of next
year's RCAs from Hume. HERE's a great opportunity to apply for. The Office
of Student Activities has been working with our counterparts at FSU and UCF
to bring a very special leadership development program to the state of
Florida.

LeaderShape is a very effective weeklong leadership experience that will
take place May 4 -11 at a camp an hour or so from Gainesville.   Please look
at the their website, www.leadershape.org <http://www.leadershape.org> for
information about the history and curriculum of this nationally acclaimed
program.

Honors will sponsor an additional student. That means we will cover the cost
(about $ 625.)
If you would like to be considered, send me an e-mail by Friday April 11 and
explain in 200 words or less why you would be a good candidate to
participate in this event and how you might use the experience to benefit
Honors in some way. An anonymous reviewer will select one Honors student to
participate in LeaderSHAPE.

2. CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR NEW SHO OFFICERS:
President: John Boyles
Vice-President: Katherine Croswell
Treasurer: Sue Andres
Technology Director: Stephanie Tegreeny
Secretary: Jen Kampmeier

3. GETTING CREDIT FOR AN INTERNSHIP: If you are doing an internship this
summer, you can earn credit from UF. You should check with your major to see
if it is possible to get credit through that route. It is also possible to
get
credit through the Honors Program (IDH 4940) You can get the form to sign up
for this in our
office or on-line at www.honors.ufl.edu Click on internships. We need the
signed form back by
drop/add (for summer, if that is when you are doing the internship)in order
to sign you up.
You do have to pay for the credit at UF!

4. PRESTIGIOUS SCHOLARSHIPS CLASS: Students interested in signing up for
IDH4917, Professional Development Strategies in Fall 2003 should send an
email to Jeanna Mastrodicasa at [log in to unmask] indicating your interest.
Priority is given to students applying for Truman, Goldwater, and Udall
scholarships for December 2003/January 2004 deadlines.  Interested students
should tell Jeanna which scholarship(s) are of interest and when you would
apply; it is suggested that you take this course as close to the time you
would be preparing to apply.  Since this course is specifically aimed at
students applying for nationally competitive scholarships, students should
have at least a 3.7 GPA by the time that they would apply.  To learn more
about the scholarships, see
http://www.honors.ufl.edu/scholarships/prestigious.html.  Our recently
successful students all took this course!  Congratulations to 2003 Goldwater
winners Robert Abel and Anup Patel, and 2003 Truman winner Terri Porter.
The class size is limited.  $10.00 for the handbook w/o attendence
E-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> for questions.

5. SUPPORT THE UF SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA: The University of Florida Symphony
Orchestra will be playing on Thursday, April 3, 2003 at 8pm in the
University Memorial Auditorium which is adjacent to Century Tower on campus.
The program consists of:

Shostakovich:  Symphony #9
Kabalevsky:  The Comedians
Kachaturian: Violin Concerto (transcribed for flute)     Dr. Stoner,
flutist.

Admission is free, so come out and enjoy a great performance!! Ehsan
Sharaf-Eldeen, Principal Bass

P.S.  Bring all of your friends too!!

6. COLLEGE OF MEDICINE NEEDS STUDENTS FOR A FOCUS GROUP: The UF College of
Medicine offers online courses to undergraduate students of all majors.
They are currently conducting research to see how beneficial these classes
are or can be.  If you can participate in a focus group about these
classes it would be a great help to the college.  Plus, you'll get free food

that night.

You do not have to have ever taken the classes.  You just have to be a
student
at UF.  We need students from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on April 14, 15 and 16.
The
focus groups will be held in the Communicore Building (near Shands).  Please

consider giving just an hour of your time and your opinions to the college.
 If you are interested in free food and would like more information, please
email [log in to unmask]  or call 372-7744.  Thank you for your
support.
Kristin Cooper.

7. SACS ACCREDITATION TEAM WANTS TO MEET STUDENTS:  UF will shortly have an
accreditation team of faculty and administrators from other universities
visit so that we can get accreditated for another ten years.  The President
of the University of Georgia is the team leader.
The team would naturally like to meet some students while they are here on
Tuesday April 8, 2003.

Undergraduate Students are scheduled for 11:00 AM in room 283 of the Reitz
Union. I imagine this will take about an hour and should be a friendly and
informal occasion. Please stop by if you have time.

8. WASHINGTON CENTER INTERNSHIP DEADLINE EXTENDED. Still time to apply for
an internship in DC. Summer deadline is April 30. Fall deadline is June 13.
For more info
go to their website at www.twc.edu After you have looked at that info, you
can e-mail me
or make an appointment to see me by calling 392-1519, if you have questions.
If you apply, I need
to see one copy of the application and essays. You can leave at the front
desk in Honors and I will sign by the next day.

9. "THE ROBOTICS ROADSHOW": SHO SCHOLARS SERIES
Wednesday April 2nd 8:00 pm in Hume Class 118

Scott Jantz will be doing a very neat presentation about robotics and its
real-life applications in problem-solving situations. He is a former honors
student who worked for years in UF's Machine Intelligence Lab in the College
of Engineering. He has also taught a graduate level course called
'Intelligent Machine Design Lab.'  He will
show us a few of his robots, explain how they work, and what went into their
design. Don't miss out!

RSVP by Midnight on Tuesday April 1st by e-mailing [log in to unmask]
please include ROBOTICS in the subject heading.
-academic committee-
-Student Honors Organization-

10. SEARCH THE ARCHIVS FOR MONDAY EVENTS PREVIOUSLY POSTED. Go to
http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html  Click on Search the Archives,
then on Start the Search and then on Item number to find the whole
announcement.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.The
Honors Daily Opportunities List
Friday, March 28, 2003

formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.