Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:16:01 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, April 1, 2003

Topics:
1. Competition to Participate in LEADERSHAPE
2. "The Robotics Road Show": SHO Scholars Series
3. Prestigious Scholarship Class (IDH 4917)
4. College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Student Council Elections
5. The Entrepreneur's Club
6. RECURSO Flag Football Tournament
7. Fire Flies Camping Trip
8. Check the Honors List Serv Archivs for these Events TODAY (directions
below):
A. Lecture on the 2000 Election
B. The Argentine Student Association

Details:

1. HONORS WILL SPONSOR ONE MORE STUDENT FOR LEADERSHAPE. We are already
sponsoring the President of SHO and Honors Ambassadors and one of next
year's RCAs from Hume. HERE's a great opportunity to apply for. The Office
of Student Activities has been working with our counterparts at FSU and UCF
to bring a very special leadership development program to the state of
Florida.

LeaderShape is a very effective weeklong leadership experience that will
take place May 4 -11 at a camp an hour or so from Gainesville.   Please look
at the their website, www.leadershape.org <http://www.leadershape.org> for
information about the history and curriculum of this nationally acclaimed
program.

Honors will sponsor an additional student. That means we will cover the cost
(about $ 625.) If you would like to be considered, send me an e-mail by
Friday April 11 and
explain in 200 words or less why you would be a good candidate to
participate in this event and how you might use the experience to benefit
Honors in some way. An anonymous reviewer will select one Honors student to
participate in LeaderSHAPE.

2. "THE ROBOTICS ROADSHOW": SHO SCHOLARS SERIES
Wednesday April 2nd 8:00 pm in Hume Class 118

Scott Jantz will be doing a very neat presentation about robotics and its
real-life applications in problem-solving situations. He is a former honors
student who worked for years in UF's Machine Intelligence Lab in the College
of Engineering. He has also taught a graduate level course called
'Intelligent Machine Design Lab.'  He will
show us a few of his robots, explain how they work, and what went into their
design. Don't miss out!

RSVP by Midnight on Tuesday April 1st by e-mailing [log in to unmask]
please include ROBOTICS in the subject heading. -academic committee-
-Student Honors Organization-

3. PRESTIGIOUS SCHOLARSHIPS CLASS: Students interested in signing up for
IDH4917, Professional Development Strategies in Fall 2003 should send an
email to Jeanna Mastrodicasa at [log in to unmask] indicating your interest.
Priority is given to students applying for Truman, Goldwater, and Udall
scholarships for December 2003/January 2004 deadlines.  Interested students
should tell Jeanna which scholarship(s) are of interest and when you would
apply; it is suggested that you take this course as close to the time you
would be preparing to apply.  Since this course is specifically aimed at
students applying for nationally competitive scholarships, students should
have at least a 3.7 GPA by the time that they would apply.  To learn more
about the scholarships, see
http://www.honors.ufl.edu/scholarships/prestigious.html.  Our recently
successful students all took this course!  Congratulations to 2003 Goldwater
winners Robert Abel and Anup Patel, and 2003 Truman winner Terri Porter.
The class size is limited.  $10.00 for the handbook w/o attendence
E-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> for questions.

4. THE COLLEGE OF LIBERAL ARTS AND SCIENCES (CLASSC) will be holding
elections this coming Wednesday, April 2nd, at 7:20 pm in NPB 1002. All LS
majors have voting rights and can run for office. The positions of
President, VP, Treasurer, Secretary, and Executive-at-Large (3 seats) will
be elected.

For those unfamiliar with CLASSC, we serve as as a non-partisan resource for
CLAS majors and as an advocate for student issues within the college. In
addition, CLASSC provides funding for programs and travel to conferences for
about 30 student organizations. CLASSC members have served as student
representatives on the CLAS Dean Search Committee, Teacher and Advisor of
the Year Selection Committee, the Academic Petitions Committee and the CLAS
Undergraduate Coordinators Committee.

Please come out and cast your vote! We've had a rough year this year and
major restructuring needs to be done next year. For those without CLASSC
experience, our Executive-at-Large positions are a great way to get your
foot in the door and obtain experience with a college council. Our website
is http://grove.ufl.edu/~classc. Andrew Hoffman, CLASSC
Exec-at-Large/Webmaster

5. THE ENTREPRENEUR'S CLUB: This Wednesday (April 2) at 6pm there will be a
great deal of activity in the New Engineering Building room 102 (NEB 102).

1) Start Up! Jeff Beggins, an established entrepreneur who is looking to
recruit a multidisciplinary team of UF students to help him commercialize
his new product, will be present to discuss a new venture opportunity.

2) Elections! If you are interested in being part of our executive team and
want to run or find out more let us know via email no later than Tuesday 5
PM. [log in to unmask]

3) Banquet! We will be hosting our 2nd annual banquet the following
Wednesday, April 9th from 7 to 10 pm. We have a great speaker lined up:
Steve Bernstein, the founder and CEO of SBA Communications a company he
built from the ground up that was recently brought public for over six
hundred million dollars. Come mingle and network with other CEO's from
Gainesville, like Terry Chester from AdBiz and Joe Cirulli from GHFC. A five

star dinner will be served, so please bring $20 to reserve your seat in our
limited amount of spacing this Wednesday, during our meeting. If for some
reason you can't make it, you must reserve via e-mail no later than this
Wednesday (April 2). [log in to unmask] Jonas Brandon, Vice President

6. RECURSO is sponsoring a Flag Football Tournament on April 13, 2003 from
11 am - 4 pm at Norman Field.  Teams and tournaments are separated by
gender. The registration fee is $25 per team.  Money that is raised will be
used to directly aid children who suffer from cancer, AIDS or malnutrition.
For more information or to register a team please email [log in to unmask]
or visit our website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~recurso/.  Please come out and
play!  There will be fun, food and prizes!
Emily Friend, PR Overall Director, Recurso

7. FIRE FLIES CAMPING TRIP:  The "Fireflies" Class is having their camping
trip this weekend, April 5 and 6 at the usual place.  Any questions, please
call Dr. Lloyd.  Students from past classes are welcome.

8. SEARCH THE ARCHIVS FOR TUESDAY EVENTS PREVIOUSLY POSTED. Go to
http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html  Click on Search the Archives,
then on Start the Search and then on Item number to find the whole
announcement.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.