Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 4 Apr 2003 10:15:20 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Friday, April 4, 2003

Topics:
1. Internship Scholarship in DC This Summer
2. Competition to Participate in LEADERSHAPE
3. Info for National Merit, Achievement and Hispanic Scholars
4. HUME Classrooms for Special Events or Study Group Use
5. Combined Undergraduate/Graduate Degrees: Consider the Possibility
6. NAKBA '48 Events
7. VISA International Pageant

Details:

1. INTERNSHIP SCHOLARSHIP IN DC THIS SUMMER: THE J. RICHARD SEWELL
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM. The University of Florida Alumni Association of Greater
Washington, D.C. is pleased to announce that applications are now being
accepted for its 2003 scholarship program. The D.C. Alumni Association J.
Richard Sewell Scholarship Program provides $1,000 scholarships to
University of Florida students who are performing for-credit internships in
our nation's Capital.  The scholarship award can be used to pay for tuition
and to help defray the costs of the internship.    To apply for this
scholarship, a student must submit a detailed proposal for an independent
study program in Washington, D.C.  This proposed study program must be
accepted by the University of Florida for credit and must be closely
supervised by a UF professor. In addition, the successful applicant must be
beginning their junior, senior or first year of graduate school at the
University of Florida, have an outstanding academic record, have a broad
array of campus or community activities and demonstrate financial need.
Applications must be received by Friday, April 18, 2003.  Scholarship
recipients will be notified by Friday, April 25, 2003.  Send completed
application, along with resume and transcript, to: Julie M. Strandlie,
Chair, Scholarship Committee, University of Florida. Alumni Association of
Greater Washington DC, C/o American Bar Association, 740 15th Street
N.W.Washington, D.C. 20005 [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Application forms are available in the Honors Office, 140 Tigert. Shortly
they will be on the Honors web site.

2. HONORS WILL SPONSOR ONE MORE STUDENT FOR LEADERSHAPE. We are already
sponsoring the President of SHO and Honors Ambassadors and one of next
year's RCAs from Hume. HERE's a great opportunity to apply for. The Office
of Student Activities has been working with our counterparts at FSU and UCF
to bring a very special leadership development program to the state of
Florida.

LeaderShape is a very effective weeklong leadership experience that will
take place May 4 -11 at a camp an hour or so from Gainesville.   Please look
at the their website, www.leadershape.org <http://www.leadershape.org> for
information about the history and curriculum of this nationally acclaimed
program.

Honors will sponsor an additional student. That means we will cover the cost
(about $ 625.) If you would like to be considered, send me an e-mail by
Friday April 11 and
explain in 200 words or less why you would be a good candidate to
participate in this event and how you might use the experience to benefit
Honors in some way. An anonymous reviewer will select one Honors student to
participate in LeaderSHAPE.

3. INFO FOR NATIONAL MERIT, ACHIEVEMENT AND HISPANIC SCHOLARS: If you are
planning to use your stipend ($ 2000 or $ 1000) for study abroad etc. this
summer, please note that April 15 is the deadline to apply for it. Forms are
available in our office or online at the Honors web site at
www.honors.ufl.edu Click on Scholarships. If you wait to apply until summer
semester, there are all kinds of paper work complications. It's very simple
to get it done now without problems!
Similarly, if you intend to use up one of your 8 semesters of schoalrship
this summer, there is paper work to do in our office to request this. You
will need to take 12 credit hours to qualify, which I don't really
recommend.

4.  HUME CLASSROOMS FOR SPECIAL EVENTS OR STUDY GROUPS: The two classrooms
in Hume are now available for student check-out for use by study groups.  A
key to the classrooms can be checked
out from the front desk with a picture ID.  Regular classes and scheduled
events have precedent over study groups.  The individual checking out the
key is responsible for seeing that the room is cleaned up and locked up
before returning the key.       If you want to reserve a classroom for a
study group please contact Dr.
Drummond at [log in to unmask] or in Hume 120 MWF 3:00-4:30pm.

5. COMBINED UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE DEGREES. If you are a strong student who
would like to depart UF with a master's
degree, have a look at the website at http://www.isis.ufl.edu/cdp1.html
There you can find an FAQ, TimeLine, Application Form and a list of current
programs. New is the opportunity to combine an MSM from Business with any
undergraduate major.
You can find more info on the MSM program at
http://www.cba.ufl.edu/mang/programs_sub_msm.htm

If you do not find, a program in your major, you can still ask an
undergraduate adviser about the possibilities of putting 12 graduating
credits toward an undergraduate degree.  Those 12 hours might also apply to
a master's program.

Students need a minimum 3.2 gpa to qualify for thsi program. Higher is
better. To be accepted to grad school, you need an 1100 GRE.

6. NAKBA '48 proudly presents:  Divestment Awareness Week! April 7-11.  Note
that this week is meant only to have an open forum to discuss the politics
of a country, and does not have any relevance to any religious issues.

Monday - April 7
Panel on Divestment: "Could Divestment help in Solving the Conflict in
Palestine?"
Location: CSE119, Time: 7:00pm

Tuesday - April 8   Mohammad Abdulmalik: "Israel: the next apartheid?"
Location: NEB100, Time: 6:00pm-8:00pm

Wednesday - April 9: Ramzy Baroud: "Searching Jenin: Eyewitness Accounts of
The Israeli Invasion"
Location: NEB101, Time: 6:30pm

Thursday - April 10: Student Panel "Torn b/w two Realities: Our experiences
In Palestine"
Location: AND34, Time: 6:30pm

7. VISA INTERNATIONAL MONTH PAGEANT:  On Saturday, April 5 is the VISA
International Month Pageant. The event will be held at the University
Memorial Auditorium at 7 PM. The doors open at 6:30 pm.

A great way to see the world and not leave Gainesville!

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.