Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:57:10 -0500

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Friday, January 10, 2003

Topics:

1. Co-ed Service Fraternity Rush Week
2. UF's 150th Anniversary Events this weekend
3. CHAMPS: volunteering with an elemementary or middle school student
4. Internships at the American Red Cross in DC this summer
5. Volunteer Organization Fair
6. Cicerones Information Meeting

Details:

1. CO-ED SERVICE FRATERNITY RUSH WEEK: Like doing Service?  Enjoy Co-ed?
Want to have some Fun and get Involved? Tau Chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, a
National Co-ed Service Fraternity, is holding Spring Rush starting Monday,
January 13th.  The national fraternity
has a strong affiliation with the Boy Scouts of America, so our principles
closely follow the BSA's.  All students, not just scouts, are encouraged to
attend our Rush and potentially become Brothers.  Our motto is Be a
Leader,Be a Friend, Be of Service, and thus we offer plenty of leadership
positionseach semester, lots of fellowships for fun, and usually 2-3 service
projects each week.  Below you will find our schedule of events for Rush
Week, and more information can be found online at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~apotau.  You can also visit us at the UF Information
Booth, located at the HUB bus stop, or you can email our Membership Vice
President, Lis, at [log in to unmask]

Alpha Phi Omega Spring Rush Schedule

Mon. 1/13    Rush Info Meeting, Reitz Union 349, 6pm
Tues. 1/14   Scavenger Hunt, APhiO UF Info Booth, 6:30pm
Wed. 1/15    Service Project, APhiO UF Info Booth , 4pm
             Bowling,  Reitz Union Game Room, 7pm
Th. 1/16     Service Project, APhiO UF Info Booth, 4pm
         Rush Info Meeting , Keys Rec Room, 7pm
         Ice Cream Social, Keys Rec Room, 7:30pm
Fri. 1/17    Pot Luck & Video Game Night, Treehouse Village Clubhouse, 7pm
Sat. 1/18    Service Project, APhiO UF Info Booth, 9am
Sun. 1/19    Beach Vball/BBQ, N. Lake Wauberg, 11:30am
Mon. 1/20    Pizza Hut Lunch Buffet, Pizza Hut on Archer Rd, Noon
         Rush Info Meeting, Reitz Union 349, 6pm
Tues. 1/ 21  Service Project, APhiO UF Info Booth, 3:30pm

Students should attend at least one Info Meeting, one Service Project, and
one Fellowship event to be considered for membership.  However, students may
be excused from this requirement for valid reasons by speaking with our
Membership Vice President.

2. UF's 150th ANNIVERSARY: This is Kickoff Week for UF's 150th Anniversary
Salute--below are events taking place this weekend.

Friday, January 10, 2003

Honoring the Past 150th Celebration Convocation
3:00 - 4:30 PM
Celebration Central- J. Wayne Reitz Union- Rion Ballroom
Keynote addresses by Governor Jeb Bush and NBC Anchor Forrest Sawyer
(Due to large demand and minimal space this program will be
simulcast/virtual with a master of ceremonies).
It will also be shown via webcast www.ufl.edu/150 and on Channel 6 from
3-4:30 PM. Free tickets will be available for both the convocation and the
reception from 10-4 everyday at the University Auditorium Box Office and the
Reitz Union Information Desk and all day Friday on the North Lawn at the
150th Celebration information table.

Gator Nights: Reitz Union, 9:00 pm to midnight. Free Food, a movie and
Mentalist: Robert Channing; 10:00 pm; Rion Ballroom.
http://www.union.ufl.edu/gatornights/thisweek.asp

Saturday January 11, 2003

Cultural Plaza Walk
11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Cultural Plaza, SW 34th and Hull Road
Featuring: Curtis M. Phillips Center for Performing Arts- Backstage Tours
Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art- Docent Tours/Open House
Florida Museum of Natural History- Docent Tours/Open House
Shuttle Bus available from Stephen C. O'Connell Center
Refreshments served at each venue

Emerson Hall Open House-pregame
12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Complimentary BBQ
Dazzlers, Albert/Alberta, UF Cheerleaders

SEC Men's Basketball Opening Home Game (Florida vs. Georgia)
3:00 PM
150 T-shirt toss

Flash Cadillac at the Phillips Center
8:00 PM
Go on a fifties rock and roll tour-get ready to shake rattle and roll all
for a 1950's price tag of $1.50. This nationally renowned stage act has 14
albums to their credit and knows how to get a party started.
Tickets are on sale at the Phillips Center Box Office from 10 AM - 6:00 PM
everyday.

3. CHAMPS (COLLEGIATES HELPING AS MENTORS IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS): Please
consider sharing one hour per week this semester
with a child in an area elementary or middle school who needs a special
friend. Orientation sessions and sign up for new volunteers interested in
participating will be held as follows (choose one session): Tuesday Jan. 14
Room 286, 8-9:00 PM OR Wednesday January 15 Rm 286 7-8:00 PM OR Thursday
January 16, Rms 361-3, 8:30-9:30 pm. All orientations are in the Reitz
Union. For more info call 955-6900 or see the web site at
http://grove.ufl.edu/~champs Former CHAMPS may call to sign up.
(Honors students have enjoyed this volunteer activity.)

4. INTERNSHIPS AVAILABLE AT THE AMERICAN RED CROSS IN DC THIS SUMMER. The
American Red Cross is offering a variety of summer internship positions for
undergraduate and graduate students at its national headquarters in the
Washington, DC metro area this summer. This is an excellent opportunity for
students to gain valuable work experiences. The application deadline is
Saturday March 1, 2003. For further info check out their website:
http://www.redcross.org/services/youth/ya/intern.html

5. OFFICE OF COMMUNITY SERVICE VOLUNTEER ORGANIZATION FAIR Spring 2003: On
Thursday January 16,2003, the Office of Community Service will be holding
its Spring 2003 Volunteer Organization Fair from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the
colonnade of the Wayne J. Reitz Union. This event is being held to increase
the awareness of volunteerism, and to give students more opportunities to
serve their community.  Our main goal is
to make volunteering more accessible and convenient.  There will be numerous
projects and programs that will be geared to best suit the needs and
interests of students.  The fair will also be able to educate those who have
not been exposed to volunteering.

We have invited numerous volunteer organizations from the University of
Florida and the Gainesville community. UF students and faculty will have the
opportunity to learn more about these organizations find out about the
numerous service projects that are within their grasp. We hope that through
this event, the University of Florida will continue to expand and extend its
reputation as a institution that works not only for the benefit of its own
affiliates, but also for the good of the community.

6. CICERONES RUSH FORUM: Want to represent UF to the public?  Learn about
the Cicerones Student Alumni Association. Emerson Hall. Tuesday January 14
at 7:00 PM.  Find out what the Cicerones is all about. 2003 interview
aplications will be available at the Rush Forum. For more info visit the web
site at www.ufalumni.ufl.edu/saa or call 392-6295.  (Honors students have
been very involved in Cicerones over the years. A great leadership
opportunity!).