Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:33:37 -0400

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Tuesday, April 8, 2003

Topics:

1. Honors Professor of the Year
2. University Scholars Symposium
3. United Jewish Communities Mitzvah Week
4. RECURSO Flag Football Tournament
5. Internship Scholarship in DC This Summer
6. Florida Paintball Association
7. Combined Undergraduate/Graduate Degrees: Consider the Possibility
8. Job Opportunity in the Physics Department

Details:

1. HONORS PROFESSOR OF THE YEAR: Hey Honors Students! Do you have a great
professor who made learning exciting and challenging this year?  Did you
meet someone who has been a true mentor?  Now is the time to recognize them
with the award for Honors Professor of the Year for 2002-2003!
Any honors student can nominate any honors professor for this award.  Simply
write a paragraph (300 words or less) to <[log in to unmask]> explaining why you
think your professor should win this award.  To be eligible, the professor
must have taught an Honors class either Fall 2002 or Spring 2003.  Past
winners of this award include Dr. James Lloyd (Fireflies), Dr. Miriam Zach
(Music and Healing), and Vikram Rangala (Writing about Love).  All entries
must be submitted by noon, Monday, April 14.  Have fun, and nominate away!
Norin Amin, SHO Treasurer, 2003-2003 [log in to unmask]

2. UNIVERSITY SCHOLARS SYMPOSIUM: On Saturday, April 12 from 8:30 am to 2:45
pm in Anderson Hall,
 85 undergraduates who participated in the
University Scholars Program in 2002-2003 will be presenting the results of
their research in areas ranging from dance to journalism to political
science to neuroscience.  The public is invited to attend any of the
15-minute presentations by the students.  To see the schedule of
presentations, e-mail [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> or pick up a
copy of the program at the check-in on Saturday.

Here's a good opportunity to see how University Scholars work. Drop by and
see
student presentations. They are always terrific.  Hopefully that will be
inspiration to apply for
USP next year (deadline March 1). For info see www.scholars.ufl.edu

3. UNITED JEWISH COMMUNITIES MITZVAH WEEK: "Use Your Hands"
April 9th-14th.  For more information, visit the Mitzvah Week table in
Turlington.

Wednesday, April 9th-7 pm Sharp at the Keys Complex Area Office!
Join us for the film "The Prince of Egypt"
As much popcorn, candy, and soda as you can eat!

Thursday, April 10th- 7 pm at Hillel
"Let all who are hungry come and eat"
A dinner banquet that really covers the issue of hunger-How so?
Come hungry and find out . . .
Donations collected will go to benefit programs that help alleviate hunger

Monday, April 14th -Party at the Water Bar, 10 pm
Bring 2 canned goods and get in free.
We will be raffling off gift certificates to local restaurants during the
night
All proceeds collected from admission will benefit UJC programs around the
world.
4. RECURSO is sponsoring a Flag Football Tournament on April 13, 2003 from
10 am - 5 pm at Norman Field. Teams and tournaments are separated by gender.
The registration fee is $25 per team. Registration forms can be downloaded
off of RECURSO's website and found in the Hispanic Student Association's
office. The deadline for signing up is April 10, 2003 at 5 p.m. Registration
forms should be turned into the manila folder located on the door of the
Hispanic Student Association's office in room number 314 of the Rietz Union.
Money that is raised will be used to directly aid children who suffer from
cancer, AIDS or malnutrition. For more information or to register a team
please email Emily Donelson at [log in to unmask] or Tyler D'Andrea at
[log in to unmask] or visit our website at http://grove.ufl.edu/~recurso/.
Please come out and play! There will be fun, food and prizes!

5. FLORIDA PAINTBALL ASSOCIATION: Theree are two information sessions being
held
for this newly established organization. If you play paintball or are
interested in playing please attend one of the following meetings located in

the Beaty Towers (on campus) commons: Sunday April 13th at 5 PM or Tuesday
April 15th at 7 PM. Email questions to: [log in to unmask]

6. JOB OPPORTUNITY IN THE PHYSICS DEPARTMENT: I am a former honors student
currently working with  the physics department here at UF. I am leaving at
the end of April for a full-time position in St. Petersburg. I am trying to
find a replacement for my position before I leave. I think an honors student
would be an excellent fit.
Position: Office Assistant
Department: Department of Physics
Job Requirements/Description: Working knowledge of Excel a must. Individual
will be responsible for accounting and reporting on two large NSF research
grants (about a $13 million award each). The accounting can be learned as
most of it is basic; I am more concerned that the person can work and learn
within Excel.
Other daily responsibilities include purchasing office supplies and computer
products, running errands, as well as occasionally copying and filing.
Hours: 20 hrs/week (4hr block/day). These hours are flexible in that you
don't have to work the same 4 hr block each day. I often scheduled around my
classes. For instance, MWF I had morning classes so I worked the afternoons,
and on TR, I worked the opposite. We are "open" M-F from 7am - 5pm, so
anywhere in that time. We are also flexible in giving time off.
Pay: $8.00/hr ...opportunity for increases based on performance and
responsibilities
Start Date: Summer (training in mid-late April). However this is a
year-round position. We are looking for someone who can commit to summer
'03, fall '03, and spring '04.
Other Notes: We understand that being a student is the top priority and are
flexible in giving time off when needed. However, we depend on this position
greatly as this person oversees a lot of money. The position, unlike most
student assistant positions, has significant responsibility (there won't be
any time to do homework). We need someone who is very reliable and has the
ability to work independently.
I've been in this position for almost 2 years and have had a great
experience. The people here are great and can have a good time. The job pays
more than most student jobs. I double majored, did fine grade-wise, and
rarely did I have time pressure between school and work. Not only that, I
could go out and have a social life since I didn't work after 5pm or on the
weekends. Contact: Kevin Ruane If you are interested, please email me with
your resume at [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

7. INTERNSHIP SCHOLARSHIP IN DC THIS SUMMER: THE J. RICHARD SEWELL
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM. The University of Florida Alumni Association of Greater
Washington, D.C. is pleased to announce that applications are now being
accepted for its 2003 scholarship program. The D.C. Alumni Association J.
Richard Sewell Scholarship Program provides $1,000 scholarships to
University of Florida students who are performing for-credit internships in
our nation's Capital.  The scholarship award can be used to pay for tuition
and to help defray the costs of the internship.    To apply for this
scholarship, a student must submit a detailed proposal for an independent
study program in Washington, D.C.  This proposed study program must be
accepted by the University of Florida for credit and must be closely
supervised by a UF professor. In addition, the successful applicant must be
beginning their junior, senior or first year of graduate school at the
University of Florida, have an outstanding academic record, have a broad
array of campus or community activities and demonstrate financial need.
Applications must be received by Friday, April 18, 2003.  Scholarship
recipients will be notified by Friday, April 25, 2003.  Send completed
application, along with resume and transcript, to: Julie M. Strandlie,
Chair, Scholarship Committee, University of Florida. Alumni Association of
Greater Washington DC, C/o American Bar Association, 740 15th Street
N.W.Washington, D.C. 20005 [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Application forms are available in the Honors Office, 140 Tigert. They are
also at www.honors.ufl.edu Click on Internships.

8. COMBINED UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE DEGREES. If you are a strong student who
would like to depart UF with a master's degree, have a look at the website
at http://www.isis.ufl.edu/cdp1.html There you can find an FAQ, TimeLine,
Application Form and a list of current programs. New is the opportunity to
combine
an MSM from Business with any undergraduate major.You can find more info on
the MSM program at
http://www.cba.ufl.edu/mang/programs_sub_msm.htm

If you do not find, a program in your major, you can still ask an
undergraduate adviser about the possibilities of putting 12 graduating
credits toward an undergraduate degree.  Those 12 hours might also apply to
a master's program.

Students need a minimum 3.2 gpa to qualify for thsi program. Higher is
better. To be accepted to grad school, you need an 1100 GRE.

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.