Help for HONORS-L Archives

HONORS-L Archives

Subject: The Honors Daily Opportunities List
From: "Dickison, Sheila" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:24:32 -0400

The Honors Daily Opportunities List
Wednesday, April 16, 2003

Topics

1. Congratulations to SHO!
2. Info Session for MSM Combined Degree Program
3. Read the New York Times for FREE
4. LUNCH TODAY at La Casita (RECURSO)
5. Review New Reality Series
6. Female Engineering Students (Phi Sigma Rho National Sorority)
7. Lecture: ":Why We are Losing the War on Terrorism"
8. College Leadership Florida

Details:

1.  CONGRATULATIONS TO SHO! Yesterday SHO was named First Runner-Up for BEST
Student Organization on Campus!! I think Josh Maurer and the 23 other Honors
students who work with him are just the best. They have done a terrific job
this year in providing activities for Honors students. I honestly have never
seen such a creative organization ever! (Admittedly I am a little bit biased
but even allowing for that SHO has had a great year. Please tell the
officers and Exec Board if you see them that you agree.)

2. INFO SESSION ON MSM UNDERGRADUATE/GRADUATE DEGREE PROGRAM: How did a
History major
get a job with Raymond James? How did a political science major land a job
in Public
Affairs with Exxon Mobile? They graduated from the MSM Program at UF, a
graduate degree
in Business for non-business majors.  Start a graduate program while
completing a
bachelor's degree. Have 12 credits of graduate course work count toward
undergraduate
electives. Develop your personal and professional skills. Acquire a business
knowledge
base and enhance your career prospects. Attend an info session on Wednesday
April 16 at
7:00 PM in Stuzin Hall 101. Get more info on the web site at
www.cba.ufl.edu/msm. For questions
e-mail [log in to unmask] or call 392-2943.

3. READ THE NEW YORK TIMES FOR FREE: The NYT is one of the great newspapers
in this world--certainly the best in the US. If you really want to keep up
on what is going on in the world, it is the source! The NYT in conjunction
with the Honors Program is running a pilot program till the end of the
semester (5/02/03). Starting Monday the 14th of April you can pick up a free
copy of the NYT in the Hume lobby. There will also be a few copies in 140
Tigert, if you don't live in Hume. (140 Tigert will also have a few copies
of the Gainesville Sun--we are still having trouble getting copies to
Tigert.
Nothing was ever simple at UF!)

Who should read the Times besides newspaper junkies like me? Those planning
to prepare for a nationally competitive scholarship, students interested in
a career in international business, the foreign service, grad school in
political science, history, those interested in going to a great law school
etc.  So please pick up a copy and read it so we can figure out whether this
is a
service we should offer next year for Honors students.

(If you want to save trees, you can read the NYT on line for free. I also
recommend this as a way to keep up with what is going on.)

4. LUNCH TODAY AT LA CASITA: Come and enjoy free food at La Casita this
Wednesday! Recurso, The Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity Inc, and The Dominican
Student Association will be serving their lunch series from 11-1pm. Come and
learn more about Recurso. Any donations would be greatly appreciated!
Recurso is a newly formed student organization that garners donations for
children in underdevoped countries who suffer from cancer, AIDS, and
malnutrition. See you there!

5. REVIEW NEW REALITY SERIES: A new show entitled "Climax The Show" has been
developed by one of the University's past associate professors--Janice
Tanaka.  This show will showcase Asian-American youth culture through a
montage of skits, reality segments and live footage. It will be centered
around a nightclub event to be hosted in Hollywood where different
activities, contests and performances will be occurring along with the
filming of the actual episodes of the television series.
     We are currently testing and conducting focus groups with the show's
target audience-young Americans and Asian-Americans.  To partcipate, show up
to the screening that will take place this Wednesday April 16th in CSE E221
beginning at 6:30 p.m.  The study will consist of students viewing the test
pilot for the show, filling out a questionnaire about the show and partaking
in discussion about what they thought of the footage.  For further
information on this show, you can visit www.climaxtheshow.com.

6. FEMALE ENGINEERING STUDENTS: Attention all Female Engineering majors!  We
are trying to bring a chapter of Phi Sigma Rho National Sorority for
engineers to UF, but we can't do it alone.  Phi Sigma Rho is a social
sorority that understands the demands that being an engineering major puts
on your time and life.  It can provide you with a vast network of female
engineering alumni to reassure you of your choice of major and maybe even
help you find a job.  You can find out more about the national sorority at
www.phisigmarho.org or get more information on our prospective chapter by
emailing Sarah Fisk at [log in to unmask]  Even if you are just faintly
interested, please contact us.  Don't miss the chance to get involved in
something extremely important and possibly life-changing.

7. FREE LECTURE: "WHY WE ARE LOSING THE WAR ON TERRORISM" The Ayn Rand Club
will be hosting the executive director of the Ayn Rand Institute for a free
lecture on terrorism.  Dr. Yaron Brook will discuss the history of
appeasement that led to the attacks on Sept.11, and our leaders' subsequent
refusal to challenge the murderous theocracy of our enemies. Though he will
indicate what he thinks needs to be done militarily, more important, he will
identify the fundamental ideas that America and its leaders must rediscover
for our war on terrorism to succeed.

"What has not been grasped," says Dr. Brook, "is that we face an ideological
enemy, Islamic fanatics who want nothing less than the total destruction of
America and its culture of reason, science, individualism, selfishness,
capitalism. They want the power to sacrifice the individual to the
theocratic state.

"And unfortunately their greatest ally, and America's gravest enemy, is in
our own universities. For decades a nihilist professorship has undermined
America by preaching that reason is invalid, science is superstition,
individualism is evil, capitalism is exploitation. What country can summon
the courage to defend itself when its own intellectuals declare it an
abominable evil that should apologize to the world and self-destruct?

The lecture is free and open to the public: Thursday, APRIL 17th, 6PM, REITZ
UNION 282.  See www.aynrandclub.com for more details.

8. COLLEGE LEADERSHIP FLORIDA 2003. Here's another Leadership Workshop
opportunity. A maximum of 60 undergraduates will be accepted for a one-week
residential program to be held from Saturday August 9 to Friday August 15,
sponsored by the Florida Chamber of Commerce, among others. Participants
will be selected based on leadership potential, community/campus interest or
involvement in organizational activities and clarity and creativity in
response to application questions. Academic records and community or campus
awards are considered but are not the determining factors for program
acceptance. Students must be JUNIORS OR SENIORS. Must have a commitment,
motivation and interest in serving the state of Florida and have
demonstrated service by participation in campus and community volunteer
activities. If accepted to the program, students must attend the whole
program (one week) and fulfill the community service requirement during the
semester following the leadership session.  The leadership program will take
place in the Orlando area. Students are responsible for travel expenses and
spending money and $ 100.00 toward cost of the program. UF will pay the rest
of the fees for 2 students ($ 2000. each). Information is available at
www.leadershipflorida.org  Click on Programs and then on College Leadership
V.  You can also get a brochure and application materials in 140 Tigert.
Application deadline is Wednesday April 23.  UF will submit five
applications and College Leadership Florida will select 2 students for the
program.  Applications are to be submitted to 140 Tigert (NOT College
Leadership Florida).

Sheila Dickison
Director, University Honors Program
352-392-1519
352-392-1888 (fax)
http://www.honors.ufl.edu

You can find a link to the List Serv Archives (previous messages) at
http://www.honors.ufl.edu You can search there for previous messages.
If you would like me to post a notice to the List Serv, please send it
to me at least several days before the event. Please use plain text (no
formatting)and put the name and date of the event in the subject line.