Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Question: Are there any standards for DVD/Is DVD a viable arc hiv e medium?
From: Dan Burns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:26:42 -0500

Maybe this should go without saying... but perhaps the question should be
"how long will the hardware I need to play the DVD's be available?" At a
recent digital imaging workshop at the University of South Dakota, the
presenter (Jill Koelling) shared her opinion that money shouldn't be wasted
on "archival quality" cd's or dvd's. Migration to the next medium should
pre-date the natural deterioration of the discs. Passing along a website
that should provide you with about as good of an answer as you're likely to
find on the subject of life span:
http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/disc_care/print_versions/p_longev
ity.html

Dan Burns, Archivist