Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Scanning and Auto Indexing
From: "Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:39:10 -0500

from Bridgette King

My question - are there any systems that I can implement that will provide
auto indexing?  I know that we can do this with the use of barcodes, but in
this environment, we do not always have the option to have the information
pre-printed with a barcode.  Without pre-printed barcodes, we would have to
create a barcode label and attach the label to the document.  We can then
have the barcodes read by the system and with some programming, produce auto
indexing.  Are there any other alternatives?

Dear Bridgette,

It depends on the software you are using for scanning.  We have documents that are indexed from a database and we also have an application in which the indexing data resides on a mainframe so we download the information and created a document separator/cover sheet with the bar-coded indexes and there is also a place where checkboxes are used to identify the document type (this information is not in the database).

We are using Kofax for scanning.

Mary Denker Hilliard
Systems Analyst
Office of Information Resources