Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: "Paperless" - Preserving Media as a RM - How to impress IT an d the CEO
From: "Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Oct 2003 16:39:33 -0400

Rich:
I believe you are discussing electronic media storage rather than paper
storage?  If so, some of the evergreen and hostage fee definitions are still
valid, but they may be applied differently.  For instance, our current paper
record storage firm also has a media storage division.  While we are
currently in the process of changing paper record storage providers (and
stifling attempts at hostage fee charges), we found their bid for media
storage to have different options.  Some of the differences - the paper
storage contract charges one month in advance for actual boxes stored, the
media storage contract charges one quarter in advance for either a minimum
volume stored or actual media stored, whichever is the largest volume.  The
other differences we found was that the media storage contract included
various small charges for each time a tape or CD was handled - including
rack, removing from storage rack, etc.  It also included a handling charge
for each carrying case.  The media storage bid also included a monthly
"administrative" fee - sort of a minimum charge - that the paper contract
did not.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager