Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Speaking of Hostage Fees........will this come to Court???
From: Christian Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:08:21 -0700

Folks,

I am new to the list, but someone sent me an email from this list two years
ago when we were doing an outsourcing study of our corporate records center
that mentioned withdrawal fees. This made me look at our proposal closer
and I am sure glad we did. In it, there was a small line labeled as a
"Permanent Withdrawal" fee, and if we ever wanted to take our boxes out of
this company's facility (they shall remain nameless for legal purposes),
the charge per box to remove would equate to $4.75/box. We keep an average
monthly inventory of about 105,000 boxes; that would have been a charge of
$498,000 plus applicable labor charges if we ever became dissatisfied with
their service. This was non-negotiaable, but deemed not necessary to
negotiate over since they were assuring us that we would never be unhappy
with their service and they would do anything to rectify any problems.

Needless to say, we still own and operate our own corporate records center.

Thanks for all the good insights everyone is sharing. I'm still new at this
RM area, but am learning a lot by reading all your comments.

Christian Garcia
Southern California Edison
Business Resources Supervisor
Drawing/Document Management and Corporate Records Center

                      Sherri Taylor
                      <STaylor@AARCHIVE        To:       [log in to unmask]
                      S.COM>                   cc:
                      Sent by: Records         Subject:  Re: Speaking of Hostage Fees........will this come to Court???
                      Management
                      Program
                      UFL.EDU>

                      10/09/2003 01:21
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      Records
                      Management
                      Program

Yes, Margie they can be.  I have also seen these "permanent withdrawal"
fees
combined with an additional "account closure" fee.

Sherri Taylor