Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Retention Periods Web
From: Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:03:23 -0400

In a message dated 10/10/2003 7:09:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> I am curious to know if there are retention
> periods out there for web pages.  I do know that the retention period of
> information is based on the content or subject matter, as opposed to the
> medium, however web pages are kind of unique in that you would want to
> capture the image of the actual page.

Are these internal or external webpages? As you stated the one piece of the retention puzzle is dependent upon the information or subject matters found on the website. A second factor (and one that folks rarely take into account) is the historical value of the site ie the site contains information that is related to a variety of matters within an organization almost like a newspaper. In addition websites are IMHO ephemeral in nature, they are constantly changing that is information is added or deleted, the design is changed, functionality changes and more. Finally how often do you want to capture the website? At minor changes or major changes. do you want to preserve its functionality (links, motion, etc) or do you want a snapshot of how it looked at a given point in time ie a static view?

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va