Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Retention Periods Web
From: Carolyn Trim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:06:00 -0500

In a message dated 10/10/2003 7:09:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I am curious to know if there are retention
> periods out there for web pages.  I do know that the retention period of
> information is based on the content or subject matter, as opposed to the
> medium, however web pages are kind of unique in that you would want to
> capture the image of the actual page.

Here's another headache....web page metadata, programming, and links have
become quite sophisticated. You can't assume that the web page you saw a
minute ago is the same a minute from now...go to MSNews or Google News. With
one product development and marketing department I worked with...the page
was a corporate product page on the Internet.  The blocks of text, product
pictures, pricing, and other marketing text was driven by geo, customer
cookie, you name it in this push/pull techie world.  The challenge was do
you even attempt to retain the non static "web page" that changes as each
viewer does their thing (if so how?), or do you go backwards and start
looking how the blocks of product, pricing, and marketing information and
regulatory notices that are maintained in the "parent" or source data base?
That information could be retained as necessary to meet retention to handle
contract, warranty, deceptive trade practices, etc.  that may be required by
state or the US federal laws monitored by FTC or someone else.

Conceivably when that little record object was no longer circulated on the
Internet and became inactive (product obsolete, marketing campaign
dead)...you could move it to online or offline storage and let the clock
start ticking.  What comes into play is object management with change
records and controls.  That concept is already in the IT world.  So we gave
up believing that the world was static and moved to object management to
meet records and information retention guidelines.  The department was happy
and so were we -- they could at least apply the retention guidelines and we
did not have to add people or buy more software to do it.  Their database
already had object management control included.  Rules were just set...Yeah.

Granted technology will change again and this too someday becomes an
obsolete solution.

Carolyn Trim,CRM
Compliance Officer by day, records by night!