Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: ARE: Requesting sample RIM Policies and retention schedule formats
From: bobd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:47:30 -0700

Sorry for the delay.  Had some computer problems.

Terry ... I don't think there is a magic bullet on RM policies.  From what
I've seen companies/public sector agencies have created their own using
guidelines from books, state RM functions, and helpful RM's.

I've used some of the state RM websites for examples of policies for RM,
electronic and emails.  For example:

www.secstate.wa.gov/archives

Go to the site, highlight Records Management, then click General Retention
Schedules.

Click Records Management Guideline for Local....
Go to Page 20 for their guidelines for a RM policy.

Note also the one above on Email and the one pending for a RM program.

If you check out other states (which I have) you will also find other
examples of RM policies.

While they have been created for public agencies of the state, they are
excellent examples (plus contain many of the other requirements that make up
a good RM program).

Bob Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting