Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: IRS Regulations
From: "<Mary Haider>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:53:19 -0500

Good morning,
I don't remember seeing this topic discussed - if it is old news just let
me know.
Last week I was invited to a short presentation given by our tax
department.  This was a review of a bigger/longer meeting given by the Tax
Department's consultants regarding the Disclosure of Reportable
Transactions - effective January 1, 2003.

Although the focus was on understanding Reportable Transactions, two
records management issues were very obvious:
1.  identifying the documents/data related to a given reportable
transactions
2.  collecting these records or establishing a reliable link to all
3.  complying with the retention as stated in the regulation 26CFR1.6001-4
" . . . until the expiration of the statute of limitations applicable to
the final taxable year for which disclosure of the transaction was required
under this section."

Has anyone already determined a preferred method for identifying and/or
collecting the relevant records (paper and/or electronic)?

It seems to me that if we don't create a specific collection to document
the reportable transaction then we will find ourselves in the position of
keeping everything for ever.

Any thoughts?  Am I missing part of the story?
Thanks Mary

God Bless America
Mary W. Haider, Records Manager
W.W. Grainger, Inc.