Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Storage of x-rays
From: Liz Allan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:12:07 -0700

I work for a company that provides record management for health care and
other organizations, and that includes radiology film.  We store all
radiology film vertically.  Films for each patients are kept together in
individual film jackets, usually on open shelf and rarely in boxes.  This is
because the films are accessed frequently for delivery to the client for
patient care.  We routinely store film for clients 7+ years with no damage
noted.  I can't say that storing films horizontally would be damaging
because we never store them that way -- but if you need to retrieve any of
these films during the next nine months you will have a devil of a time
getting to the ones on the bottom of the stack.  Remember that these films
are large and HEAVY.  Consider the worker's comp issues for the folks
retrieving them.

Liz Allan, RHIA
Deliverex, a SOURCECORP Company
San Jose, CA