Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: documentum
From: Grahame Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:41:39 +0800

I've looked at Documentum's home page to see what else they do.  It seems to
me that they are primarily concerned with ECM.  From what I understand of
ECM, it's the same as my definition of Records Management.  (And I don't
think it's only my definition)

I realise there is another definition out there that states that records are
the documents that get kept and put on files etc, but that makes nonsense of
the term ephemeral records.

I see that on Documentum's site that they seem to use this limited
definition too.  They seem to be saying that records is only part of ECM,
along with "documents and discussions, ... email, Web pages, records and
rich media".  Apart from discussions that haven't been recorded, I'd
consider all those things records.  And discussions that haven't been
recorded aren't part of ECM anyway.

I prefer to think that (just about) everything is (or can be) a record.  And
perhaps I'm a control freak, but I like to see Records people involved in
the processes and practices of the organisation relating to email, documents
(including saving it on the computer network), web development and storage
etc.

If we aren't (or don't) it is decided by IT people, or other non-records
Managers, or users.  Not that those people shouldn't be involved, they
should be.  And so should we!

The word "records" seems to often be used in the limited sense, but I think
it's a mistake to see the limited definition as the primary one.  Perhaps
others might like to agree or disagree with me.

Grahame Gould
Records Manager
Shire of Wyndham East Kimberley
Australia

Airnorth flies to Kununurra - contact QANTAS or your travel agent for
details
and from March 2004, QANTAS will fly direct to Kununurra from Perth