Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: electronic docs + OCR
From: "Mallory, Alicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:17:36 -0500

Bogdan-Florin POPOVICI,

Please don't cry!  Maybe I can help a little.

1. Why do we call documents processed by computer "electronic docs"? I mean,
of course they are created by electronic machins, but thus audio tapes are
also electronic docs. The medium for "computer created docs" is not longer
only "electronic", because CD, DVD are optical medium. Am I right? And if I
am, how could they be caled?

Response: My understanding is that any record which requires a machine to
read it is called an electronic record.  Based on this definition, audio and
video are considered electronic records by many records managers; even
though they are considered "analog" by those employed in Information
Technology.  CDs and DVDs, although on an optical medium, also require
machines to view their records, so they are called electronic records.  The
reason microfilm isn't called an electronic record is because, although
difficult, it is possible to read microfilm using a very strong magnifying
glass.

2. Do you have any information about an OCR software, which is able to
recognize texts written with peculiar characters (German with Fraktur
characters, for instance)?

Response: Some people have reported luck with using Textbridge for German,
Portuguese and Dutch characters, but I have not used it myself. Here's the
website: http://www.scansoft.com/textbridge/  I'm sorry I have no personal
experience with international character set recognition.  Perhaps some of
our friends outside the U.S. could help?

Good luck,
Alicia Mallory
Records Retention Analyst
Teacher Retirement System of Texas