Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: electronic docs + OCR
From: Bernard Chester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:44:49 -0700

Bogdan-Florin:

Since your need is urgent and most folks are still in Boston at the ARMA
show, I'll try to help.

1) In my consulting, I call anything encoded electronically - whether it
is digital or analog, a text document or an A/V stream -- an electronic
document.  If others use a different definition, well, we argue about
what is a document or record also.

2) In my experience, the better OCR packages handle Latin alphabet
variations.  They are set to focus on a specific character set, so that
they can do a decent job.  What sort of characters are you trying to
recognize?

I wish I had a name for a package I knew handled German, but I haven't
had the need to explore this.  My guess is that if I went into a
computer store in Germany, I'd find several on the shelf.

Good Luck on your search.
Bernard Chester
IMERGE Consulting