Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: electronic docs + OCR
From: Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:16:49 -0700

Dear all,

I have to questions, as a help crying:-))

1. Why do we call documents processed by computer "electronic docs"? I mean,
of course they are created by electronic machins, but thus audio tapes are
also electronic docs. The medium for "computer created docs" is not longer
only "electronic", because CD, DVD are optical medium. Am I right? And if I
am, how could they be caled?

I think one of the primary reasons that they are called "electronic docs" is
the folks that first defined the tools were IT geeks. Records Managers
didn't get their hooks into things until later. Now we can bridge threads
(did you like the segue?). All records are documents but not all documents
are records (there I said it). The initial idea was that EDMS would handle
all electronic records in our new paperless offices. This meant that non
record material would be managed with the system. As differentiating between
hardcopy, imaged (microfilm etc.), AV and on and on, we have always done
that. Keep in mind that we do not define the terms in most cases. We only
perpetuate the lexicon. It's hard enough to get folks to understand what we
are talking about without changing terminology on them.

Chris Flynn