Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Web Page Retention
From: "Gary L. Grieme" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:23:38 -0500

For a simple website it would not be a problem.  But I go along with the view that websites can be so dynamic that attempting to do snapshots would be a quagmire.  Instead, handle it as you would an active database--manage the metadata and the records of information added to and generated by the website.

Gary L. Grieme
Records Manager
Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi L.L.P.
Minneapolis, MN
612-349-8538

I know I mentioned this previously, but I didn't receive to many nibbles.

I researched our retention authorities and it appears that web pages aren't
categorized for retention.  I know that the "content" of the pages is
captured in the R&D schedules/authorities, but would we not want to capture
a "snapshot" of the web page?  What if someone were to say they made a
business decision based on information we provided on our website and all
went wrong and subsequently took legal action?  Wouldn't it be nice to go
back and look at the page to ensure that we did indeed provide correct
information? or What if there were electronic snafu's and we lost
information, wouldn't it be nice to be able to go back and obtain the
original information from the page and recreate it?

I would appreciate your insight and feedback on this issue and if  "you"
actually have retention periods for the actual web page itself.  If we are
respecting our IM Policy, which is all about managing the life cycle of
information, would we not want to include the capturing of "web pages".

Thank you.  It is 2 degrees Celsius here brrrrrr!

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Communications Section
Strategic Planning and Communications Division
Information Management Directorate
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
25 Nicolas Street, 16th Floor
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0L5

' 1-613-957-6621

* [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

______________________________________

Information contained in this e-mail
transmission is privileged and
confidential.  If you are not the