Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Records Destruction Authorization Procedures
From: Mary White-Dollmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:36:04 -0700

Terry:
I serve on an ARMA Task Force that has drafted for review by the Standards Development Committee a new publication: "Managing Information Assets & Resources: Retention and Disposition Programs." It includes three models for the Authorization Process and Procedures.  You may want to check with Diane Carlisle at ARMA to see when this will be published.

ISO 15489 Information and Documentation-Records Management Part I states that it is a principle that destruction must be authorized.  It does not say how.  Even ISO 15489 Part 2 Guidelines, section on disposition is not specific on how or what authorization means.

I can understand your management's concern.  In today's distributed information environment, the methodology of requiring destruction authorizations needs to be carefully considered.

Some records have such short retention they never get into centralized repositories (paper or electronic). Can we assume that if the owner follows the authorized retention period and destroys as required that this is sufficient. We can validate this is occuring appropriately through our compliance audits without logging each destruction.

However, when custodianship of records is given to a centralized system (EDMS/RMA, File Room, Records Warehouse), then authorization with owner must be more rigorous and documented.  Just some thoughts on how to develop procedures that will work in today's world. Of course, these procedures may vary between public and private sectors.

Just my thoughts. However, this is a good thread.

Mary

"King, Terry L" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Good Afternoon All,

The company I work for has some 53,000 employees across the nation. I am revamping the RIM Policies and Procedures. In doing so, I have recommended that expired records not subject to legal holds or tax holds should be reviewed by Tax, Compliance, Legal and myself before they are destroyed. A certificate of destruction should then be issued. I understand that this is "best practice". However, I am getting a lot of push back from upper management on this.

How do other large companies handle this process? It would seem that there must be variations on this process from company to company. Any information would be greatly appreciated. You can respond to me directly if you like. [log in to unmask]

Thank you,

Terry L. King, MIT
Corporate Records/Information Manager
Qwest Corporate Compliance/Risk Management

"I facilitate change. I protect vital assets. I ensure compliance. I reduce risk. I manage information. I am a Records and Information Manager".

Only the named recipient(s) should read this e-mail. It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not a named recipient or you received this e-mail by mistake, please notify me immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.

<>

Mary White-Dollmann, MLIS, CRM
Document Control & Compliance Inc.
918-274-4896