Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Microsoft's 'Self destructing e-mail' and response of line top my posting
From: Lawrence Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:09:51 -0800

> With this degree of penetration Microsoft hold
> immense power and I
> believe personally that this email control feature
> in the latest version
> of Office 2003 should be removed from the software.
> From little acorns
> etc, may apply here.
>

> This ability in Office 2003 to stop the printing,
> copying, resending and
> to set a timeframe for the destruction of the email
> could be a bigger
> disaster to good governance at all levels of
> corporate and government
> organisations than any previous event.

Balance of excellent arguments snipped....

Not much to say except I agree with the spirit (if not
the content) of Laurie's message.

Education is the key here, making sure office
administrators and organizational personnel understand
these features exist and how to use them appropriately
(maybe by de-selecting them at set up)

Now, if you REALLY WANT TO GET CHEESED at someting
MicroSloth is planning for this coming version of M$
Orifice... there is a "Save as XML" feature built in,
an "enhancement" that will allow you to save files in
a format that is designed to ensure access over long
periods of time.  What they FAIL TO TELL YOU is that
it's not plain-vanilla XML, but M$ XML, with a few
additions that will ensure you can open it up in a M$
environment for long periods of time, but not
necessarily in ANY environment!!

Larry