Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Microsoft's 'Self destructing e-mail'
From: "Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:19:15 -0600

Greetings,

Just a couple of observations.  First, bashing Microsoft has seemed to
become a full time activity on the list.  For those who are so upset I
suggest you exercise the following option:

Switch products - Don't give the line of BS that you can't because there are
no other options.  Many of you that have been complaining have been quick to
point out in the past that there will never be a paperless office.  This
might be a good time to prove it.  And please don't tell me that MS has
forced the competition out of business.  We did that.  I suspect that in the
scope of thing, MS purchased very little of its own software.

I was part of a team several years ago that suggested the move to the MS
Office Suite of products.  It was a good move then and I would make the same
decision today if asked.

Now for the "self destructing e-mail issue".  Is it a problem for RM?  No,
it is an opportunity.  As others have said, MS didn't invent the concept
they just incorporated it into their products.  Many of us have wished for
this type of functionality for some time.  I also think it is important to
remember that the world does not center around us, or our organizations.
Millions of individuals use the MS office suite at home.  This may be just
the ticket for them.

Fire away.

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator