Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Microsoft's 'Self destructing e-mail'
From: "Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:52:42 -0600

>>But I can't resist one comment - the irony of an e-mail self-destruct
software from the company that was legally impaled by its own e-mail!<<

Ginny,

Sounds perfectly normal to me.  If I think back to all of the cases where
e-mail has been an issue, all but one have hinged on finding email the
organization said they did not have or did not exist.  The exception was the
SEC where everyone knew the emails had been deleted.

So, what's the fastest way to stop the smoking gun, take away the bullets.
Self-destruct does that.  I suspect an attorney came up with this one.
Remember, the vast majority of cases where e-mail has been an issue were not
decided on the basis of a retention program.  They were decided on issues
that the e-mails addressed.

Bill R