Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Microsoft's 'Self destructing e-mail'
From: Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:21:04 -0800

Now for the "self destructing e-mail issue".  Is it a problem for RM?  No,
it is an opportunity......  I also think it is important to remember that
the world does not center around us, or our organizations.

Fire away.

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator
State of North Dakota
ITD/Records Management
701-328-3589

First, Cool title, did you make it up yourself (sorry couldn't resist)
Second, and know that I truly struggled with this statement, it is an
opportunity for us (oh that hurt).
Third, "the world does not center around us, or our organizations", it
should in this case.
Four, will we take advantage of the opportunity, no

There is no organization for these folks to go to that can provide the
leadership they need to develop their products. The mantra of the technology
age has been, let the market determine the course. ISO and ANSII dropped the
ball early and we have followed along. Is this an opportunity, even folks in
North Dakota realize that it is. What do we do about it. How do we get to
the point where developers and legislators look to Records Managers when
necessary? How do we get those same folks to as Archivists about permanent
records before it is to late (especially when we ourselves don't). Where is
this going? Any of you folks in the Hub of civilization got an answer?

Hey What's that!
Oh nothing, just another opportunity slipping by,

Chris Flynn
P.S. Hope you folks had fun. Time to get back to it.