Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Promoting a "Clean out your Records Day" within a Organization
From: "Smith, Richard E" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Oct 2003 06:59:08 -0500

Larry, for many years I have been prompting and managing a program as you suggest. In the beginning we called it Department Records Representatives or DRR, now we call the folks RIM Reps.

The main key to the success of this program I believe is management at all levels are constantly informed that they are responsible for all records created, received and maintained by those that they have the pleasure of managing. The buck stops with them.

Realizing that management at all levels are very busy (I know because I was a first line manager for over 30 years). We offer them an alternative to meet and attend to their RIM responsibilities to the company and work groups they manage by providing the process to appoint someone to represent them.

Just saying you are my RIM Rep go forth and do good things is not enough however. My original position on this subject was and still is that a written agreement between the two parties must exist that signifies this appointment.

The RIM Rep program was sited as an Industry Best Practice by our third party ISO auditor and we are very proud of that.

In Boston my long time friend and associate Marty Nunn and I are presenting a session on this subject titled "The RIM Representative Program...Experts Among Experts".

Or if listserve members want more information on how this program is structured and, works please call or write and I will share what we have experienced, learned and gained by maintaining this effort during a host of challenges.

Of all the things we do in RIM the RIM Rep Program is what makes it all work and work well at the lowest possible level of the organization. It also answers the basic question "What's in it for me? at the department level.

Clean out days. We have them every day by following an organized and systematic process that is well documented and in compliance with our Retention Schedule.