Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: About e-mail messages with restricted permission
From: Gerry Clifford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:27:11 EST

Martin wrote the following: I also see this as an opportunity to help enforce
good RM
procedures -- get an original document saved and kept according to proper
retention schedules and eliminate copies that may be floating around, all
rules predefined by those who have the qualifications to make such
decisions (the Records Manager - with the Systems Administrator setting
the rules as defined).

With further knowledge gained in the last few day's it seems to me we are
going around in circles, and ending up with "Who defines that the email is a
record."  You can have all the bells and whistles you want, but it always comes
back to how well trained is your staff to define what is and isn't a company
record.

We developed are own records management software two years ago that has the
same capability that MS does with e-mail.  To me, and I developed it, and it
was one of the worse ideas I have had.  I have had smaller clients have me
disable the function so they could sleep at night.

If you have the feature and do not have continuos training (and sometimes
that doesn't help) you are sitting there with thousands of dollars of useless
software, and spending more to find out was was, and wasn't saved.

Regards,
Gerry Clifford,
Clifford & Associates
360-835-5102