Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Smart document technologies - next killer app?
From: Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 30 Oct 2003 12:42:49 -0700

Hi Frank,

My take on these technologies runs along a couple of lines. First, Automation technologies have proven useful, but even OCR and ICR, among the most mature of these tools, require some user intervention to maintain high levels of accuracy. Autocategorization tools are coming into their own and still require significant monitoring and interaction in order to remain accurate and consistent. These new tools from Microsoft and others will be subject to similar issues, some anticipated and some not. So from a pure technology standpoint, I don't think these will lead to a wholesale rewrite in the responsibilities of the records manager, except insofar as it adds to them.

Secondly, and more immediately discussed on the list, is the impact these technologies will have with respect to RIM process - in other words, what will intelligent, self-destructing email do to a discovery process? What about sending those intelligent email to non-Microsoft users, or intelligent PDFs to non-Adobe Acrobat (or not current version) users? How will these technologies affect electronic preservation?

I think the recent thread on this topic was beneficial and specifically Ginny Jones (and probably others) who indicated that there was no need for panic yet, and to encourage RIM professionals to learn more about the technologies and their potential impact.

As a side note to the list, the Call for Presentations for ARMA 2004 (Long Beach) will be going out shortly, and this might be an excellent topic for someone to address at a level we can all understand. (In the interests of full disclosure, I sit on the 2004 Program Committee)

Hope this helps, and maybe some others will weigh in,

Jesse Wilkins
LIT, CDIA+, EDP, ICP
Technical Support Manager
INFORMATION MANAGEMENT RESEARCH Inc.