Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: "Paperless" - was Preserving Media Forever
From: Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:09:36 -0700

>Personally I eschew

Gesundheit!  =8^P

>the term 'paperless' and prefer the term "less paper".

A good choice, seeing as paperless always fails when it comes to spell
checker unless you've added it yourself.

>As Ben pointed out pocketbook size paper calendar will beat a PDA anyday
>of the week.

Of course it does, that's why most PDAs offer an option to print your
calendar out in a 3.5" x 5" format!!

>That said paper is but another tool in our arsenal.

And to be forewarned is to be forearmed...

>Ann Balough wrote an article for the records and retrieval report pointing
>out how folks use paper on their desks. If I remember correctly she
>pointed out that paper on our desks is like computer screen. We just have
>multiples on our desktop.

Source:
http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/research/projects/how-much-info/print.html#copies

United States

The US produces about 30% of the world's paper and paperboard output
(Source: US Industry & Trade Outlook 2000). In 1999, the US produced 23.8
million metric tons of printing and writing paper and 6.4 million metric
tons of newsprint. In bytes, this translates to 142,800 TB for printing and
writing paper and 76,800 TB for newsprint. These figures provide an upper
bound on the total number of bytes required to digitally store all the
information produced in printed format each year.

About 1.1 billion books were sold in the United States in 1999. Using the 8
MB/book estimate, this is equivalent to 8,800 TB. (Source: Wall Street
Journal, July 17, 2000, "A New Chapter: Independent Booksellers Hope to
Find Strength in Numbers" by Scott Eden.)

In the United States 55,979,332 daily newspapers and 59,894,381 Sunday
newspapers circulate each year. (Source: Newspaper Association of America,
citing Editor and Publisher.)

The total number of US magazines circulated annually exceeds 500 million.
(Source: US Industry and Trade Outlook.)

Each year, almost 500 billion copies are produced on copiers in the US;
nearly 15 trillion copies are produced on copiers, printers, and
multi-function machines. (Source: XeroxParc).

>anyway this tiny url will take you to an listserv archives search for
>'paperless' stories from RAIN
>
>http://tinyurl.com/pgyt

I'd suggest you go check this out, print a copy of each of the stories and
read it, then save them on your hard drive.

Happy Late Friday!

Larry =)