Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: archival insurance
From: "<Gerard Nicol>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 5 Oct 2003 03:49:06 -0400

Bogdan,

It does not sound stange at all. We are experiencing the same problem in
the media storage industry.

If you think you have problems, at least the contents of paper are static,
we have experienced customers who want to insure the contents of a tape.

Every 2 weeks the contents of the tape changes; today it could be a
critical backup for recovering the system after a disaster, tomorrow it
could be a backup of porn from someones C: drive.

We have found that it is more of a problem for customers who are
renegotiating contracts or changing storage providers.

To insure any object it must have an agreed value. If the value is above
the replacement cost of the object (paper for paper, tape for tape) the
value must be defined by the customer.

From experience once a customer gets the quote for the insurance + your
margin they drop all interest in insurance.

Gerard Nicol
TapeTrack Pty Ltd