Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Paper / electronic symbiosis
From: "Bean, Bernadette (TSA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:05:38 +0930

I feel compelled to peek out from this tree behind which I normally lurk to
agree with the previous contributors who have discussed the Sellen & Harper
(Myth of the Paperless Office) book in relation to this subject (you can
read a review or buy it from
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0262194643/qid=1065486169/sr=1
-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9141398-7087812?v=glance&s=books

I read the book to review it for a local archives publication and thought it
was one of the more thought provoking professional books I've read in a long
time in the way it examines the search for the "holy grail" of a paperless
office - I'd go so far as to suggest that this should be REQUIRED READING
for anyone even thinking about the merest possibility of planning a
feasibility study on whether or not to take their organisations down the
paperless path.  Read it and then look around your office/organisation -
watch what people do with paper - how they use it, when they use it etc.
You'll soon see that paperless and even, dare I say it, less paper (the
stats in the book say paper use is on the up still) are unachievable and
even unnecessary goals and that we could far better utilise our time, energy
and considerable intelligence on focussing our energies elsewhere.

Regards, Bernadette

Bernadette Bean
Corporate Records Manager, Freedom of Information Officer
Common Support
TRANSPORT SA
Phone + 61 8 8343 2036 (Internal 22036)
Fax + 61 8 8343 2768 (Internal 22768)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
DX Box: 171
Post: PO Box 1, Walkerville SA 5081, Australia
Internet site URL: http://www.transport.sa.gov.au

The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential, and
may also be the subject of privilege or public interest immunity.  This
e-mail and any attached files should be scanned to detect viruses and no
liability for loss or damage resulting from the use of any attached files is
accepted.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or
reproduction of this document is unauthorised.  If you have received this
e-mail in error please telephone +61 8 8343 2222.