Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Scanning and Auto Indexing
From: "King, Bridgette" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Oct 2003 08:38:11 -0400

Good Morning All

I have used this list before for opinions and direction and look forward to
the response(s) to my newest inquiry.  I work for a Contract Research
Organization (CRO) and this message targets the Pharmaceutical and CRO
industry.  We currently run a scanning system and create PDF images for our
Intranet.  This process runs well, but I am looking to decrease my benchmark
for image indexing.  At present, we manually index all our documents/files.
This is very time consuming and leaves too much room for human error.

My question - are there any systems that I can implement that will provide
auto indexing?  I know that we can do this with the use of barcodes, but in
this environment, we do not always have the option to have the information
pre-printed with a barcode.  Without pre-printed barcodes, we would have to
create a barcode label and attach the label to the document.  We can then
have the barcodes read by the system and with some programming, produce auto
indexing.  Are there any other alternatives?

P.S.:  I get this list in digest form so your response to me personally in
addition to the list population would be great.  Thanks.

Thanks
Bridgette King
Sr. Manager, Records Management
STATPROBE, Inc.