Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Records Retention when there are no legal requirements
From: David Gaynon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:32:13 -0800

I have a simple retention question for my colleagues in the records
management world.  What is an appropriate retention for a firm operating
exclusively in the United States when you have a record series for which
you are unable to locate any legally based retention requirements.  In
responding to this question please assume that you have subjected this
particular record series to a thorough process of legal research and are
still unable to find any relevant requirements.

A second question related to the first is this -- has anyone done any
research on what portion of a for profit firm's records have legally
mandated retention requirements.  I was asked this question recently and
while I have my own sense of the correct answer -- my sense was primarily
based on a feeling as opposed to any quantitative facts.

Please respond to the list or if you prefer you may respond directly to my
attention and I will summarize and post to the list.

Thanks

Dave Gaynon, CRM