Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Adding Bar Codes to scanning process
From: Lawrence Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:07:18 -0700

--- "Evans, Janet Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> for scanning of  back
> file documents we would like to add a barcode to the
> physical documents
> The purpose is to provide a way to
> collect standard metadata
> for indexing, to locate the images during
> search and retrieval

One major considration here is that the resolution you
scan at will have a severe impact on the usability of
the barcode post scanning.  If the resolution is too
low, the barcode will become jumbled and may not read
correctly.  we experienced this problem in the past on
a project I worked on.

Another consideration is if the barcode is on a "shiny
surface sticker", the scanner may have trouble picking
it up correctly because of the reflection back on the
lens.

Finally, keep in mind if the barcode appears on the
imaged document collected in the system, it will also
appear on all future copies/images produced from the
system, so this can lead to potential control problems
if the barcode is used for tracking and identifying
the location of a document... it's conceivable that
"the document" could be in many places at the same
time.

One way around this is for the imaging system to place
a watermark on all printed images that indicates it is
a reference copy only, but then you should also
institute a policy statement that deals with the use
of these reference copies to ensure thery are
appropriately discarded.

Larry