Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Cost Justification for Developing RM Programs
From: John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:46:37 +1100

----- Susan Goodman posted -----
<snip>
 including  the Price Waterhouse Coopers,
<snip>
Cost  Justification for Developing the X's Records Management Program

.       Price Waterhouse Coopers performed a  study that found professionals
spend 5-15% of their time reading information,  but up to 50% of their time
looking for information.  In addition the  average organization:

-          makes 19 copies of  each document
-          spends  $20 in labor to file each  document
-          spends $120  in labor searching for misfiled  documents
-          loses 1 out  of every 20 documents
-           spends 25 hours recreating each lost  document
-          spends   400 hours per year searching for lost files

<snip>

--------- reply ----------

I seem to recall some discussion some time ago about the provenance of the
PWC study.  It might have been on this list, or some other RM list.

General consensus was (I think) that PWC did not actually prepare these
figures.  I vaguely recall that the Records Manager at PWC said that they
could find no evidence of such a study.

In any case, unless you can find out the year the survey was done, the
dollar amounts will be meaningless.  $20 in 2005 terms is probably
insignificant, whereas $20 in 1905 dollars would be very substantial when
converted to today's value.  You are probably also assuming that they are US
dollars - for all we know, they could be Australian, New Zealand or some
other tinpot country's dollars.

Anyway, all I am suggesting is that you should be wary of using these
figures - they probably do not equate to how you do things in your
organisation.

John Lovejoy
These views are my own, no one elses