Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Internal Developed Software Retention
From: Lorie Mcaleb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:35:15 -0700

I have been researching information on internally developed software and
the need for a retention to be applied to these programs. I searched the
archives and did not find anything relating to this subject, but thought
others on the ListServ may have addressed this in their retention
policies. We have numerous groups that design software for a specific
purposes. The data has its functional retention applied to it, but how
long should we retain the software programs used to generate the data or
subsets of the data? Each of these programs have numerous versions, a
version is created each time the program is updated. Do we need to keep
all of the versions? If the data is converted to a new program there is
no need for the software versions for data access, but we have had
instances where we had to prove we created a program before another
company so I'm at a loss as to what the retention should be.

If anyone has dealt with this issue I would appreciate feedback.
Thanks

Lori McCaleb
Records Mgmt IS Project Lead
Micron Technology, Inc.