Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: FW: Archiving PeopleSoft - SCT Banner
From: "Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 9 Jun 2005 13:41:05 -0400

During our evaluation of potential vendors for our new CIS system,
PeopleSoft (now owner of SCT Banner), SAP, and others made it clear that
archiving from the active database can create data linkage and
application functionality problems because of the way the software
functions.  SAP has an archiving module that will supposedly allow the
data to be archived to a data warehouse without causing looping problems
from broken linkage.  In reality, the larger database vendors do not
consider archiving or purging data to be necessary, so this
functionality is very limited.  Number 1 priority for successful
implementation of archiving/purge functionality -- RIM considerations
must be part of the design phase.  These functions do NOT retrofit well
at all.

We have had many meetings with our potential third party implementer to
establish the functionality for archive and purge.  Our solution is to
archive to the data warehouse after a certain period of time (similar
concept to transferring inactive records to a records center) and then
purging from the data warehouse (similar concept to disposing of paper
records from a records center).  The trick is in grouping the data into
functional "record" groups that are associated with an event date (close
of account, completion of service order, etc.) and an identifier
(account number, service order number, etc.) for archiving purposes.
These record groups do not always equal 1-to-1 with our retention
schedule records series.

As for linking to an EDMS or ERMS -- its all in how much you want to pay
for a third party interface and its programming.  The big boys do not
have built in EDMS or ERMS, nor do they have built-in interfaces to any
existing EDMS/ERMS software.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM)
Records Manager