Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Nitpicky Terminology Question
From: "Seibolt, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 8 Jun 2005 08:52:59 -0500

Charis Wilson, MLS, CRM wrote:

"It has been proposed by this colleague's organization that they rename
their retention schedule and call it disposition schedule.  My argument
is that ultimately the purpose of the schedule is to tell the
organization how long to RETAIN records, hence it should be called a
retention schedule.  As I see it, any disposition instructions within
the schedule are a secondary function only."

I agree with calling it a retention schedule.  In today's tightening
records environment of regulations like Sarbanes-Oxley we are seeing
retention periods that are increasing not decreasing. Retention periods
that were once 15 years are now 50 years for the exact same records
series. In my humble opinion, the current trend is moving towards
retaining more and disposing of less and then only after extended
periods of time.

Rob Seibolt
Records Management Aquila