Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Per Item/Image Scan Cost...
From: Records Management <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:30:37 -1000

Aloha Glenn,

Mahalo for your insightful comments...I agree with your comments regarding
going "inhouse" with scanning.  With several applications and more in the
horizon, managing the fluctuations in volume, etc. will make "inhouse"
scanning prohibitive unless I went with a fully commercial operation...

Brian

===== Original Message from Records Management Program
<[log in to unmask]> at 6/9/2005 3:37 pm
Brian

Costs here in A$ won't be terribly relevant but for what it's worth,
commercial bureaux in Sydney quote A$0.08 - $0.18 cents per page (so
double sided counts as two pages). Current exchange rate is one A$ = about
$0.76 US. The price difference depends on factors like colour vs mono,
which parts of the image you want QA applied to, and the output format - a
fully indexed PDF costs most, because of the royalties to Adobe. All this
excludes batch preparation time, and also excludes any keying you want
done.

So it all depends.

As for doing it in house, unless you are dealing with consistently low
volumes, and have no need for evidenciary-standard QA, don't. A bureau
will handle QA, and cope with large fluctuations in throughput, that will
be very hard for you to manage in house unless you set up a fully
commercial operation. Beware of looking just at the cost of the scanner
plus some staff time, and beware of managers who don't think properly
about real money vs funny money!

Cheers

Glenn

Glenn Sanders MRMA
Australia

These views are mine alone. They may or may not be those of any
previous or present employers or clients. I don't know. If I'd asked
and they'd agreed, I would have signed it "Harry Peck and Co and
Glenn". Or whatever. But I haven't, so I didn't.

----------
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information.   If you have
received it in error, please notify the sender immediately via return e-mail
and then delete the original e-mail. EnergyAustralia has collected your
business contact
details for dealing with you in your business capacity. More information about
how we handle your personal information, including your right of access is
contained at http://www.energy.com.au.

Brian A. Moriki
Records Management Officer
First Hawaiian Bank

*The opinions expressed are entirely my own and not reflective of the views and policies of my employer*

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed
and may contain confidential information.  Any review, retransmission,
is prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please contact the sender
by replying to this e-mail and delete this e-mail and any attachments from
all computers without reading or saving the same in any matter whatsoever.